3-Point Hitch towing from bar across 3 point lift arms

/ towing from bar across 3 point lift arms #1  

jd49

Tractor
1949 JD MC crawler, 2000 JD 4400
Howdy, I would like to be able to tow my trailers or chipper from a bar between the lift arms of the 3 point hitch, mainly to get more clearance between the tractor tires and the trailer on turns. The only problem is that if the trailer is loaded more heavily in back, there is nothing to stop the 3 point from going up in the air! Has anyone got a solution for this? Thanks for any replies.

/ towing from bar across 3 point lift arms #2  
Umm... Make sure you keep your tongue weight positive? :rolleyes:

In other words, move your load closer to the front, so it puts down pressure on the tongue.

Joe

Last edited:
   / towing from bar across 3 point lift arms #3  
Are you just using a bar acroos the lower arms? There are many receiver style hitches for 3pt that use all links so draft control works. No draft control? Under normal use my old three point would lift a little bit, but once I put it in draft control it would maintain height.

Otherwise load all trailers ahead of the wheels

/ towing from bar across 3 point lift arms #4  
You don't really want your trailer weight to be that unbalanced. I use a dump trailer and hook to the 3pt arms it works great, but there are times while dumping{if I don't remember to raise} that the arms will fly up. This only happens while sitting still and waiting for the dump cycle{it only happened a couple of times}. I'm with Marveltone, keep some weight on the tongue, plus it would help with traction.

/ towing from bar across 3 point lift arms #5  
Can you hook a check chain to the drawbar or other low spot on the tractor to the 3pt hitch lower arms to limit how far it can raise?

/ towing from bar across 3 point lift arms #6  
Are you just using a bar acroos the lower arms? There are many receiver style hitches for 3pt that use all links so draft control works. No draft control? Under normal use my old three point would lift a little bit, but once I put it in draft control it would maintain height.

Otherwise load all trailers ahead of the wheels

I think the OP means he's using a 3PH drawbar (rather then the draw bar under the tractor), but he needs to clarify that.

/ towing from bar across 3 point lift arms #7  
With our old Ford 2N we had a set of solid links that went from the top link tractor end to three point implement end which prevented the three point arms from moving up or down when we used the three point mounted draw bar.

IIRC the 2N's three point would operate unless the PTO lever was engaged, but on most newer tractors the three point operate all the time.

If you raised the three point with the links in place something would have to bend or break.

Last edited:
   / towing from bar across 3 point lift arms #8  
I built a 3 pt. hitch draw bar (attaches to lower links and top link). It is built such that normal trailer hitch height is achieved when the 3pt. is fully raised. This eliminates most of the possibility of the negative tongue weight lifting the hitch. Or you could buy the receiver style 3pt. hitch and use an 10" drop insert.

/ towing from bar across 3 point lift arms #9  
It is convenient to lift the ball up into the coupler, so tying the 3 pt down can be a hassle.
I agree the draw bar is the right way to do it.

Something to bear in mind when moving boats around;
Don't lift the tongue too high.
Lift it just enough to unload the tongue jack, then get off the tractor and wind the tongue jack up all the way, then lower the tongue.
Carry it as low as you reasonably can and remember that when the tractor goes down the tongue typically goes up - and the prop finds the ground, it can get expen$ive.

/ towing from bar across 3 point lift arms #10  
With our old Ford 2N we had a set of solid links that went from the top link tractor end to three point implement end which prevented the three point arms from moving up or down when we used the three point mounted draw bar.

IIRC the 2N's three point would operate unless the PTO lever was engaged, but on most newer tractors the three point operate all the time.

If you raised the three point with the links in place something would have to bend or break.

The 8N's had that too. The drawbar extended out and layed on top of the crossbar attached to the 3 pt arms and was held in place with a clevis. Two adjustable slotted bars tied the lift arms to the top link mount. That setup would not allow the 3 pt to be used. If I remember right I think there was also a control lever other than the pto to shut off the 3 pt so it couldn't be operated and bend something. Those slotted bars are still sold at some farm stores.