Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    kubota b2910

Default towing from bar across 3 point lift arms

Howdy, I would like to be able to tow my trailers or chipper from a bar between the lift arms of the 3 point hitch, mainly to get more clearance between the tractor tires and the trailer on turns. The only problem is that if the trailer is loaded more heavily in back, there is nothing to stop the 3 point from going up in the air! Has anyone got a solution for this? Thanks for any replies.

Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

Default Re: towing from bar across 3 point lift arms

Umm... Make sure you keep your tongue weight positive?

In other words, move your load closer to the front, so it puts down pressure on the tongue.

Joe
    Last edited by Marveltone; 04-01-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Omitted information.
    Joe

Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Tractor
    John Deere 4020

Are you just using a bar acroos the lower arms? There are many receiver style hitches for 3pt that use all links so draft control works. No draft control? Under normal use my old three point would lift a little bit, but once I put it in draft control it would maintain height.

Otherwise load all trailers ahead of the wheels
    Grayson Klassen
    Fort St John, BC, Canada

JD4020
    JD148 FEL

Elite Member

You don't really want your trailer weight to be that unbalanced. I use a dump trailer and hook to the 3pt arms it works great, but there are times while dumping{if I don't remember to raise} that the arms will fly up. This only happens while sitting still and waiting for the dump cycle{it only happened a couple of times}. I'm with Marveltone, keep some weight on the tongue, plus it would help with traction.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2920

Can you hook a check chain to the drawbar or other low spot on the tractor to the 3pt hitch lower arms to limit how far it can raise?
    Kubota B2920, MMM, FEL, 5' Bush Hog Squeeler Rotary Mower, 5' Bush Hog Box Blade, 5' RBT1560 Land Pride Rear Blade, 55 gal. Boomless Sprayer, KK Utility carrier

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson Klassen View Post
    Are you just using a bar acroos the lower arms? There are many receiver style hitches for 3pt that use all links so draft control works. No draft control? Under normal use my old three point would lift a little bit, but once I put it in draft control it would maintain height.

Otherwise load all trailers ahead of the wheels
    I think the OP means he's using a 3PH drawbar (rather then the draw bar under the tractor), but he needs to clarify that.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Platinum Member

With our old Ford 2N we had a set of solid links that went from the top link tractor end to three point implement end which prevented the three point arms from moving up or down when we used the three point mounted draw bar.

IIRC the 2N's three point would operate unless the PTO lever was engaged, but on most newer tractors the three point operate all the time.

If you raised the three point with the links in place something would have to bend or break.
    Last edited by dieselscout80; 04-01-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    IHC 424 Diesel
    Ford 917 Flail Mower

Gold Member
    Tractor
    L35,1910,580D,933C,935B,MS90,N-11,Z60,310D,443,553,885

I built a 3 pt. hitch draw bar (attaches to lower links and top link). It is built such that normal trailer hitch height is achieved when the 3pt. is fully raised. This eliminates most of the possibility of the negative tongue weight lifting the hitch. Or you could buy the receiver style 3pt. hitch and use an 10" drop insert.
    What could possibly go wrong? *#^@*! I think it is time for a drive.

Elite Member

It is convenient to lift the ball up into the coupler, so tying the 3 pt down can be a hassle.
    I agree the draw bar is the right way to do it.

Something to bear in mind when moving boats around;
    Don't lift the tongue too high.
    Lift it just enough to unload the tongue jack, then get off the tractor and wind the tongue jack up all the way, then lower the tongue.
    Carry it as low as you reasonably can and remember that when the tractor goes down the tongue typically goes up - and the prop finds the ground, it can get expen$ive.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Farmall 706 Yanmar 2210D

Quote Originally Posted by dieselscout80 View Post
    With our old Ford 2N we had a set of solid links that went from the top link tractor end to three point implement end which prevented the three point arms from moving up or down when we used the three point mounted draw bar.

IIRC the 2N's three point would operate unless the PTO lever was engaged, but on most newer tractors the three point operate all the time.

If you raised the three point with the links in place something would have to bend or break.
    The 8N's had that too. The drawbar extended out and layed on top of the crossbar attached to the 3 pt arms and was held in place with a clevis. Two adjustable slotted bars tied the lift arms to the top link mount. That setup would not allow the 3 pt to be used. If I remember right I think there was also a control lever other than the pto to shut off the 3 pt so it couldn't be operated and bend something. Those slotted bars are still sold at some farm stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast