PTO noise on 2910

/ PTO noise on 2910 #1  

dlabrie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
My 2910HSD has 180 hours on it. I spent all day blowing 14” of snow on Saturday using my 5’, rear mounted, Meteor blower. I had to clear ¼ mile of gravel road and all around my house and barn. I only picked up one grapefruit size rock to break a shear pin. Everything worked perfectly.

But……. Sunday, I went out to putter around and I noticed 2 noises. The first came when I engaged the blower. It sounded like someone wrapping on metal with a wrench. The sound came from the area below the clutch pedal. It would stop and if I increased the RPMs it would clank again a couple of times then stop. All the while the blower ran fine. When I pushed in the clutch it stopped but the clutch made a kind of clink sound the PTO disengaged. ( I think it always did that.) After a while that noise from the engaged PTO went away.

The second noise came while backing up. It sounded like the chain hitting the frame about once per tire revolution, like a tap from a screwdriver on metal. I checked the chains and they were in the clear all the way around. The noise came from the area below the cruise control lever. That noise didn’t go away.

I checked all the fluids and had just finished lubing the FEL and tractor.

Anyone had these types of noises?

/ PTO noise on 2910 #2  
The clunking noise you describe is a common problem with chains and the 27/2910. My 2710 has chains from tirechains.com I have had this exact problem in the past, as have others on this board. The problem with mine was not that the chains were scraping against the fender, but that the bolt head was being hit by the chains. This bolt is where the fender bolts to the floor pan, right at the front inside of the fender. I have found that if you make sure the chains are as tight as possible and use the tensioners properly the problem may go away. There is info about wheel spacers on this website. That is probably the route that I am going to go. The 3/4 to 1 inch clearance that they provide really helps.

/ PTO noise on 2910
I looked to see if the chains were hitting the bolts and they didn't.

/ PTO noise on 2910 #4  
sometimes sound is hard to get a n idea from where it is comming from. if this happens again, try slipping the pto shft from the blower off the pto drive, and then engage the pto. it might tell u if it is the pto or the blower.

/ PTO noise on 2910
I did try running the PTO with the Blower slipped off. There was no noise. But when it was hooked up the noise came from around my left foot.

/ PTO noise on 2910 #6  
Try running it with the blower disconnected and listen with your ear to a long screwdriver or wooden dowel up against the housing. You will be able to hear if it may be a bearing or chipped gear.

/ PTO noise on 2910
..... listen with your ear to a long screwdriver or wooden dowel up against the housing.......

I have a stethoscope I could try that with. Where exactly should I place it?

/ PTO noise on 2910 #8  
Just put it against the housing where you think the noise is coming from, if you have a 2 or 3 sp check the pto in all gears. Should be able to narrow down the problem some.

/ PTO noise on 2910 #9  
DAVID : ANOTHER THING U CAN TRY(and this is a pain) but if u can't determine if it is the tractor or the blowere , hook up ur brush hog and engage the pto and see if it makes the same noise when it is hooked to another implement, if not it is the blower making it sound like it is comming from the tractor.

/ PTO noise on 2910
.....hook up ur brush hog and engage the pto .....

I thought of that but my brush hog is stored in an out building about 350' across a field covered with about 3-4' of snow. I'll take the tractor out this weekend (unless we get more snow ) and check it out more closely.