580D case with thumb

/ 580D case with thumb #1  

Anonymous Poster

I found this nice backhoe on the www.traderonline.com site, and noticed it had a hydraulic thumb (rare to see on a backhoe). I was wondering if any of you know how much of a hassle it might be to put these on a backhoe? My boss said it's not worth it because you have to have a seperate function for the thumb so you can move it and other parts of the hoe at the same time. He says it's just too much work for a backhoe. I'm asking because it would be nice to have one on an extendahoe but if it's not worth it, then I would just put a mechanical thumb on. Hydraulic thumbs are nicer because you can obviously position the bucket whichever way you need to get at something. Just curious.

Blake
WA

Here's the pic. http://adcache.equipmenttraderonline.com/9/9/0/39898790.htm

/ 580D case with thumb #2  
I've seen some information on an electric valve for duo purpose hydraulic purposes.

Let's say you want to have the hydraulic thumb. You don't want to add another lever. So you put the electric valve where one way it operates, say your left stiff leg. Once you're in position and start working the hoe you change the valve over so that lever now works the thumb. You flip the button when you want to move the hoe or readjust the stiffleg.

I can find a link to where I saw the thing. It was a manufacturer of a hoe attachment for a skid steer. They had the hydraulic movement of the bucket and the electric valve also allowed the boom to operate right or left using the same auxillary hydraulics.

/ 580D case with thumb
Hey, that's a really neat idea. Please do share the site. That type of design seems very helpful since I like case backhoes, and they keep all your hands and feet busy! :)

Blake
WA

/ 580D case with thumb #4  
I doubt this is the same site, but the concept is the same...
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pwce.com/Rabbit2.htm>PWCE</A>

As an aside, the Case 680s and 780s come with the same control console as an extendahoe machine even if the machine doesn't have one. So plumbing a thumb or hammer is a snap. Little piece of useless info I thought I'd throw out.

/ 580D case with thumb #5  
This is where I saw it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.lackender-fab.com/boomer_hydra-swing.htm>Lackender Fabricators</A>.

Here's why I'm interested.

I have a JCB skid steer, Robot 165HF. The HF stands for high flow hydraulics. I have two sets of auxillary hydraulic systems. The basic one is fourteen gallons per minute and is controlled by a pedal on the floor. The second one operates off a separate pump and puts out twenty eight gallons per minute.

When I bought the machine I also purchased a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.loweman.com/a-kseries_specs.html#150-200>Lowe SSK225 auger motor</A>. My thinking was I could always move up to a bigger machine later and still use the same auger.

Here's the glitch. The high flow ciruit works off of an electric switch. So it's an off or on situation. And to make the auger really work it requires I use the high flow circuit. I don't have a reverse and it's strictly off and on, feathering is with the throttle. I also have to take my hand off the controls to hit the electric rocker switch that operates the circuit. It's awkward.

On the low circuit it's a snap. My foot operates the motor and it can be feathered or reversed. It just doesn't go as fast or have as much power.

What I'd like would be able to either hijack the low side pedal control for the high side circuit when I want to or have another pedal for the high side circuit. JCB techs look at me like I'm interested in their ugly sister when I've talked to them about this.

I know there is a way. I just haven't figured it out yet. Or better yet, find someone who's already skinned the cat and can help me with this one.

/ 580D case with thumb #6  
My 250 Deere has the hi flow like u
are dreaming of and it is GREAT.
I don't know if u can find Deere hyrdo
drawings but this might help.
I have 2 sets of quick-couplers one set
is smaller than others.
W/ the trencher on the smaller set I can hit the hi flow
switch and the drt really flies.
I still have full control of variable speed and
forward/reverse w/ hand control.
I've never used the large set of q-c.
Only problem is can't get hi flow and hydro-
quick tach together from factory :(

/ 580D case with thumb #7  
Factory techs are like that sometimes... I find it's either I'm not at their level of knowledge/vision, or they're not at mine... Use your judgement as to which applies... /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I'm wondering if the pedal assy. for the standard flow is capable of handling the high output flow. May need a different pedal assy with bigger valving for this... Maybe from one of the bigger models of Robot or an excavator or somthing... Wonder if you could get an engineer's ear at JCB.... Somebody has to know...

/ 580D case with thumb #8  
Our 580M at work has two additional hyd. circuits out to the end of the hoe. One is for the wrist (which is always attached) and the second is aux, which we hook up to a grapple instead of a permanent thumb. The hoe controls are the two-lever setup, so the two additional circuits are controlled on the floor with the left foot, while the extendahoe is on the right. Makes for a slick setup with plenty of power all the time.

/ 580D case with thumb
Yeah, well, I don't like the looks of that thumb. I think companies can do a way better job in attaching those guys on a backhoe and not have the stupid cylinder sticking out. If that was my backhoe, I'd take that off (obviously if I baught it because if it were mine in the first place, I wouldn't have put it on), once I had money, I'd buy another 580D and this time an e-hoe, and switch hoes, and then if I had to, put the thumb back on. A thumb on an e-hoe is way more useful in my opinion. But, if I were just starting a business, I'd be a lot smarter and not get a standard hoe first, but an e-hoe. Much more useful, then I'd get a standard hoe. Kind of nice to have in muddy conditions so you aren't sinking everytime due to large amounts of tonage from the e-hoe. Just my thoughts. Oh, I think it would be cool to have a lever right above the feet, so you can control the thumb there. Right side opens, and left side closed the thumb. That is if your case in the standard 3 lever 2 pedal hoe. Sorry to have posted this in the wrong forum, I just thought of that, should have gone in the 'attachments' one.

Blake
WA

Attachments

• 47-223487-580d.jpg
    47-223487-580d.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,871
   / 580D case with thumb #10  
Hi Blake I had to build a Thumb for a customer at my shop he owns a 97 model 580 with the standard boom and stick, Since its Ductile iron and a cant weld it i built a clamp on system. I have a thumb on my 75 Ford hoe its a stiff leg because i have to remove the extra 100 pounds when im loading my dump truck with the hoe from terraces. One thing to consider with a hydraulic thumb is to get a pin for the bucket thats widenough to go through the thumb and bucket . This lets the thumb stay in the same radius of the bucket. Now im building a V ditching bucket.