Oil Pan Leaking

/ Oil Pan Leaking #1  

duckhunt

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HSTC
I need some advise, my tractor has been leaking (very little) around the oil pan for about a year or so, recently it has become worse, and is beginning to drip on the concrete. Not talking about alot, but a few drops here and there. How hard is it to replace the gasket, or could I use some liquid gasket, my dealer is a bit far and their service department said they are a couple weeks behind, instead I was thinking about taking it to my local mechanic and letting him do the work, or maybe tackling the project myself. In all, its not enough oil to cause any problems with the tractor, I just cant stand knowing my tractor drips oil on everything. I'm due an oil change with a few more hours and I thought this would be a good time to address the problem. Please give any advise.

Thanks,
Jonathan

/ Oil Pan Leaking #2  
For me, doing this work myself would depend on how many other components (like a drive shaft, if the tractor is 4WD) would have to be removed to drop the pan. Your mechanic should have no problems though.
Personally, I'm not a fan of liquid gaskets as they can be a real pain if the pan has to be dropped again. Suggest you ask your dealer what he does.

/ Oil Pan Leaking #3  
Well, that is what i did today on my Ih 434. it took me about 15 minutes to get the pan off the tractor and about 30 minutes to get the old gasket of and clean everything up. i used the gasket in a tube from napa because nobody had mine in stock and when ordering napa was not sure if it was the correct one. so i went and bought the stuff in a tube for $5. i put it on and put the pan back on real easy. Now my tractor is 2 wd and from 1970 so if yours ie 4wd or newer it may be differant. i have not put oil back into it yet package said it takes 24 hours to completely dry. Im going to fill it tomarrow. ill let you know how it goes. but i know for the time it took i could not have even got the tractor to the shop that fast.

Tools used: putty blade, screw driver ,1/2 inch socket, and adjustable wrench.

/ Oil Pan Leaking
Thanks for the replys, @ Gregsons, keep me posted on the results.
Mine is 4wd, I got underneath her the other day, the only thing I can see that may be difficult is the front drive shaft. It will have to be removed, other that it, and about a dozen bolts, it should come right off. Mine looks to fit really tight in between the frame runners. So tight that it hard to actually tell where the oil is coming from. It runs on the frame, onto the steering etc..

I may very well tackle it this weekend.

Thanks again.

/ Oil Pan Leaking #5  
Make sure you clean off all the oil on the mating surfaces before installing the gastket, especially if it is a rubber one. Be sure to find out the right torque spec for the oil pan bolts, if you over tighten them you can distort the pan sealing surface. Good luck.

/ Oil Pan Leaking #6  
I just ran mine for 20 minutes and no leeks!! the Thing to remember is to rememeber how you gout it out so you know how to get it back on with out messing up the liq gasket. Hint before putting on the gasket pit the pan on so you know how to get it in place. Then remove put a nice smooth beed long the whole pan ast in place. Put 1 screw in just a few threeds tight then go to the other side and do the same thing. Ok now the pan is hanging the but not touching the engine( hangin by about 1/4 inch put in all the other screws just a few turns on the treads so the dont fall out. start and thighten like lug nuts on a wheel. Dont tighten so much that gasket comes out. let sit over night, fill with oil and cross your fingers
Good Luck!!

P.S. it was easy i would send it to a shop unless they would do the job for less then $50.

/ Oil Pan Leaking #7  
If possible I would get the right gasket. As a last resort I woud use Rightstuff. You have to be carefull using liquid gaskets. If you use too much and it drips off it can plug the screen on the oil pump causing majior problems.
Bill

/ Oil Pan Leaking #8  
ditto what roy said.

is it a simple pan that can be dropped.. slap a new gasket on after cleaning old one and go? if so.. it's a nice day for an oil change don't ya think!

soundguy

/ Oil Pan Leaking #9  
I need some advise, my tractor has been leaking (very little) around the oil pan for about a year or so, recently it has become worse, and is beginning to drip on the concrete. Not talking about alot, but a few drops here and there. How hard is it to replace the gasket, or could I use some liquid gasket, my dealer is a bit far and their service department said they are a couple weeks behind, instead I was thinking about taking it to my local mechanic and letting him do the work, or maybe tackling the project myself. In all, its not enough oil to cause any problems with the tractor, I just cant stand knowing my tractor drips oil on everything. I'm due an oil change with a few more hours and I thought this would be a good time to address the problem. Please give any advise.

I did the pan on my son's car a while ago. It was a PITA, primarily due to having to drop the exhaust, but all together not that bad. It should go easy on a tractor. I used some kind of liquid gasket - the key is to let the stuff set up with light pressure. When installing the pan and new goop, lightly snug all of the bolts - like finger tight only - then wait several hours for the gasket material to firm up. Then torque all of the bolts (and there are at least 50 of them).

JayC

/ Oil Pan Leaking #10  
Thanks for the replys, @ Gregsons, keep me posted on the results.
Mine is 4wd, I got underneath her the other day, the only thing I can see that may be difficult is the front drive shaft. It will have to be removed, other that it, and about a dozen bolts, it should come right off. Mine looks to fit really tight in between the frame runners. So tight that it hard to actually tell where the oil is coming from. It runs on the frame, onto the steering etc..

I may very well tackle it this weekend.

Thanks again.

Take your time to determine if the pan leaking at all. I've changed gaskets on leaking things only to find that it was leaking above there and dripping across hoses and things. Have you tried to snug up the pan bolts?

Things it could be;
oil pressure sensor location
rocker arm cover
injection pump
crack in the block
could be diesel slobber -- > looks like black oil and is caused by running cold
PVC valve or line