Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: what program?

<font color=blue>math skills</font color=blue>

David, I'll never forget learning what overconfidence can do for you. Any kind of math or arithmetic was my easy subjects all the way through high school, and I did the "bookkeeping" for Dad's businesses from the time I was 16 (he knew how, but didn't like the job and I did at the time). So . . ., my first semester in college, I signed up for an algebra course on the assumption that, since algebra was so easy in high school, I wouldn't need to spend any time or effort on it, just show up for the classes and take the tests; right?[img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img] Well . . ., I did manage to pull a "C" in that class.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif[/img] Maybe the most valuable thing I learned was that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Bird, cut yourself a break. I found the opposite to be true. I struggled with math in late high school and early college. In classes that required studying material I could successfully test well by only cramming the night before. Not with math, chemistry, and physics. I tried to cramm in these classes with no success. I didnt think I was smart enough. Then I tried doing homework problems daily and started doing well. Turns out I was smarter than I thought. So, to anyone taking classes that envolve problems, do a little daily. For most people it is a must. It will give you confidence, I promise.

<font color=blue>do a little daily</font color=blue>

Good advice and I agree. It's when you think you already know it and don't do anything that you get in trouble.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Needless to say, the next math course I took resulted in a grade of "A".

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

I went to "normal" college for one year. If I liked your class, I got an A. If I didn't, I got an F. I was working one full time job, two part times and doing 9 credit hours at college, plus dating my future wife. The counselor told me I had too much on my plate, so I quit college [img]/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif[/img]..... I went across town and enrolled at the local technical college and got two associates in electronics while still holding the jobs and dating. I came out of school with no debts because I paid as I went and have never looked back.... except for math. I guess I'll have to do something about that, now that I am able. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gold Member
    Tractor
    None, for now. :(

I'm a little late here, but that's me.

Blake, I'd major in Construction Management, which will give you business classes, but since you want to own your own company I would also minor in business management or accounting depending on the amount of accounting involved in the business management minor and construction management major. I would also suggest adding in some marketing classes. Construction is often a word of mouth type business but marketing skills always help.

Clint

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    jd 970, JD GT235

Blake, I would say civil engineering then get a job operating with lots of overtime and expose yourself to all types of work so you have the confidence when you go on your own.
    I'll pass the one piece of advice on that I have been told most often:
    Find a good accountant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12