Oil & Fuel diesel fuel storage

/ diesel fuel storage #11  
There ya go, a 15 gallon plastic drum would be perfect. A lot easier to unload and will hold enough to last you 2 months. Just get yourself a hand pump and you're in business. You can take it full, in the back of your truck. Unload it when you get home, in a dry place and refill it on your way back. You'll never have to unload a heavy barrel.

Billy

/ diesel fuel storage #12  
If you store your diesel out there will it stay there?

Egon

/ diesel fuel storage #13  
Egon,
That's why I don't store on the site ... I have had to many late night visitors in the pass ... so I keep everything used for this place at a relatives farm ... I am carrying enogh fuel in the transfer tank to handle 3 or so days then I replenish ...
Leo

/ diesel fuel storage #14  
Jac5n,

The concern I have with a plastic drum stored inside a building is a fire. If a fire occurs in the area, and the heat melts the plastic, you will have a sudden release of fuel that will increase the fire significantly. The dumping of 15-55 gallon of diesel fuel produces a lot of BTU’s of heat real quick. If the drum is in a low cost, do not care if I loose it type of building ( I wonder how many of us have building that falls into this category), then that may be OK. If you use a metal drum inside of a building, make sure it has a UL listed drum vent which will release the pressure built up and release the vapors and pressure without it flashing back into the drum. A tight drum and no way to release the pressure will cause a sudden release of the drum bottom and sides in a great BIG BOOM!

Just another thing to consider with a tractor!

Be safe.

Tom

/ diesel fuel storage #15  
I would be concerned that the diesel fuel stored in a large container would get moisture in it storing it outside where you would have drastic temperature changes. Would an additive like Sta-bil, which says its made for gas or diesel, work like PowerService?

arkydog

/ diesel fuel storage #16  
I have a 300 gallon overhead tank that I use. I go through 300-450 of diesel a year. I use PowerService in all of my diesel. One gallon of PS does 300 gallon. It has always worked for me in my backup generator no matter the temperate.

/ diesel fuel storage
Egon,

That's a good question. I'm building a small barn, which should only make the problem temporary. Also, I can lock the gate (I know this is not foolproof). Anyone who wants to hump 55 gallons of fuel on their back is welcome to it!

/ diesel fuel storage #19  
I've been storing diesel outside in a 55g blue poly sealed barrel for the last year with no water problems. The poly is flexible enough to collapse a little when the outside temp goes down.

I gravity feed and always collapse the tank a little at the end of the fueling to allow for expansion when the temps go up. No leaks, no spills, no water. I go through the tank about every 2-3weeks so it doesn't sit there for extended periods of time.

I wouldn't consider these barrels as thin walled, they've stood up to some pretty good banging around.
gary

/ diesel fuel storage #20  
Great information here. All the opinions are valid. Here is one I use. You can get the correct color for diesel fuel, about 30 gallons. Go to www.cabelas.com

Attachments

• 47-223660-Gascan.jpg
    47-223660-Gascan.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 86