Oil & Fuel diesel fuel storage

/ diesel fuel storage #21  
I'd like to throw a comment into the hopper. If you store fuel at a distant site you risk having some low life come in and steal it. I had a neighbor with acreage a few miles from his home who wondered why his old Massey-Ferguson was so hard on fuel until he realized that he was supplying the neighbor's tractor, too.

/ diesel fuel storage
Gee, and I thought moving to the country was going to get me away from this kind of stuff!

/ diesel fuel storage #23  
jas5n,
Unfortunately living in the country by no means gets you away from criminal element … we are no longer in the cattle business but you still have rustlers (we did) you also have people coming in when you are not there and selecting their beef, slaughtering and butchering it on site … some times your farm equipment becomes an after hours playground … Oh yes, you can call the sheriff but don’t expect him to do anything (he didn't) … and if you take matters into your own hands … well welcome to America’s legal system … am I bitter? You bet …
Leo

/ diesel fuel storage #24  
Jas5n, Here is one more to think about. I use a 35 gal. poly drum with hand pump (see attached photo) I can move this around by myself and it last about 4 months for me.

Attachments

• 47-223751-fuel.jpg
    47-223751-fuel.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 123
   / diesel fuel storage #25  
<font color=red>I use a 35 gal. poly drum with hand pump</font color=red>

I have been wanting a set up like that for a while. I can't seem to find the drums anywhere. How do you move it around? Do you just tip it and put it into a FEL?

/ diesel fuel storage #26  
<font color=blue>just today the oil company dropped off a full 300 gallon skid tank of off-road diesel. Has a hand pump on it, and they'll just top it off like they do the normal fuel tank for our furnace</font color=blue>
Why couldn't you just pump from your furnace tank?? It's the same stuff (unless your tank is in the basement and you don't want to lug it upstairs????)

/ diesel fuel storage #27  
I have a 30 gal. steel drum given to me and I am almost done setting up a fueling station. In principal, I am going to pressurize the drum to 4-7 psi. I picked up an old gas nozzle and hose at a sale, but the hose seems too cracked and brittle to use. I did get all the fittings made and tried it out last week. The nozzle leaks somewhere, so I'll have to rebuild it. This will be practically a free project for me. The drum was used once and given to me, the fittings came from Home Depot- from which I received a gift card to and the nozzle and hose was a dollar. I've attached a rough sketch of what I'm doing. When I get this all done, I'll post pictures and describe the process. BTW, does anyone know if diesel fuel attacks PVC?

Attachments

• 47-223818-fueltransfer.jpg
    47-223818-fueltransfer.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 108
   / diesel fuel storage #28  
<font color=blue>Why couldn't you just pump from your furnace tank?? It's the same stuff (unless your tank is in the basement and you don't want to lug it upstairs????) </font color=blue>

I wanted extra capacity. If there's a major power outage, the furnace will need fuel, and the tractor will need fuel. I know I can run one in the other, but it comes down to total storage capacity, which I figure can never be too much. Plus, I'll admit it, I'm lazy. I hate taking those 5-gallon cans to the station (assuming they have power to run their pumps) and filling them up. Much easier to just pull up next to the hand pump and fill 'er up! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ diesel fuel storage #29  
Dave, The black box that it is sitting on is a dolly. So I can just roll it around in the shop. When I need to lift it, I just put it into my FEL bucket and move it around. I can tip a full barrel on the edge and roll it around without to much hassle if I need to. The barrel is very stout and was a freebe from my neighbor. The pump I got from my grandfather, a leftover from the days when we owned an oil company.

/ diesel fuel storage #30  
This design is very dangerous without a relief valve. PVC is fine for diesel at non-elevated temps.