Oil & Fuel diesel fuel storage

/ diesel fuel storage #1  

19th_VA

Gold Member
Tractor
Branson 3520
This has got to be the best source of information on the net! Congrats to all of you who are willing to give your time and share information. Question about diesel fuel storage that I have not seen addressed. I have 13 acres and live an hour away from the property, which I will probably only work on once or twice a month for the next 8 years (hopefully we'll move then). There are no stations near enough to drive to. Is a 55 gallon drum appropriate for storing diesel fuel which obviously will be in there for perhaps up to a year at a time? What would be the best/most economical storage system? Thanks in advance!

/ diesel fuel storage #2  
I don't think you need to store that much at one time. If it were me, I'd get me some 5 gallon jugs. Carry enough with me to use that day plus enough to top it off when you're finished. You didn't mention the size of your tractor or if the tractor stays there? I'm taking it as a CUT and it stays at your house? If so, a tank full of diesel will go a long way.

Billy

/ diesel fuel storage #3  
I was concerned about fuel, too. After 8 hours in the seat, I'm using less than 1 gal per hour with my TC40D, so I got:

Tractor Supply Company:
5gal diesel yellow poly can: $8.31 each
Hand Pump with hose: $12.84

I'd get 2 cans, fill up the tractor before you leave and take the empty cans with you to fill for the return trip. TSC has other fuel transporting solutions, but they are much more expensive. Check out the fuel/lubricants discussion group for other ideas.

Mark

/ diesel fuel storage
Thanks, Billy.

The tractor will (still working on that) 35-45 hp CUT and will be stored at the property. I was trying to avoid lugging 5 gallon jugs around but will if that's the best way to go.

/ diesel fuel storage #5  
You could easily use a 55 gal drum and set it on a stand so you can gravity feed from the bottom. I use a plastic watering can to fill my tank. Only two gallons at a time but easier than lifting a 5 gal container up over your head. You'll have to find a local fuel supplier willing to deliver that much but that shouldn't be hard as long as he's not making a special trip. Diesel doesn't have the gumming problem that gas does so long term storage is less of a problem but if I was storing for a year I'd get some additive that has an algicide in it. I'm with you though about hauling 5 gal containers back and forth - forget that!!

/ diesel fuel storage #6  
As you can see, there are differing opinions, so I'll give you mine, too. I tried a 55 gallon steel barrel sitting outside with a tarp over it; got water in the fuel, probably from a combination of condensation and a leaky tarp. Then I got a 55 gallon poly (plastic) barrel and kept it inside the shop building; never another problem. I used a $25 manual barrel pump to refuel my tractor. A 55 gallon barrel of diesel would last 6 to 8 months, but I also always added a pint of Power Service diesel additive to the barrel each time I refilled it. Worked for me, but of course, I didn't have the fuel delivered, I just had the barrel sitting on a small pallet and would use my forklift forks on the FEL bucket to set the barrel in the back of the pickup when I went to town for fuel, and then to unload it when I got home.

/ diesel fuel storage #7  
I have used 55 gal. drums but now a days the drums are made of such thin metal that it is easy to puncture the side ... Handling a 55 gal drum of fuel is another problem .. with them being made of such thin skin I would not roll one off the back of a truck like you use to be able to do many years ago (even if you use a ramp from the truck to the ground which will get to be dangerous also) so you will have to sling the drum and lift and set it down, which is what I have done ... I now use a 50 gal. transfer tank equiped with a hand pump to transport and dispense fuel. I also store fuel in this tank ... I can remove the tank from my pickup with my tractor and place it on the ground to store and dispense. Yes it cost a bit but I sure feel better with it ... Of course you could always get a tank from the fuel distributor placed at your place and have them replenish when needed ... I would not do that unless I was using a good bit of fuel ... for what it's worth ... Incidently, I had a 55 gal. drum spring leaks around the end after being hauled about 350 miles. Remember 50 gals. of fuel is heavy ...
Leo

/ diesel fuel storage #8  
I completely agree with Bird. This is definitely the best way to go. Having done the 5 gallon route at times it absolutely sucks. If you ever spill it inside a vehicle you will never get the smell out. Follow Birds advice and store it away from any rain. Add the power service and you will be fine.

/ diesel fuel storage #9  
I have a 15 gallon poly tank and this seems to be about the right amount of fuel for quite awhile. I also have a manual pump that although it doesn't fit the bung correctly works. When empty I just throw the drum in the back of the pickup and off I go. 1 tank full should last you quite awhile. Does anyone know where I can find an inexpensive manual pump for that kind of tank. I'd like to find one that fits better and stays in the tank when I'm not using it.

/ diesel fuel storage #10  
Funny you should ask.. just today the oil company dropped off a full 300 gallon skid tank of off-road diesel. Has a hand pump on it, and they'll just top it off like they do the normal fuel tank for our furnace.

I just got a PTO generator, and figure if there's an extended power outage I don't want to be driving back and forth with 5 gallon cans.. to a gas station that might not even be able to pump if the power is out.

Okay, go ahead and tell me I'm paranoid. I probably am. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif But this will be a lot more convenient, either way. $1/gallon of storage is what they sell the tanks for.. at least here. It's already winter-conditioned, but I'll add some PowerService additive to it anyway just to play it safe. I've never heard a bad word about this stuff...