To start or not to start

/ To start or not to start #1  

KENSFM

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2210 JD318 JD332
I own a JD 650 that is used this time of year only for snow removal. We live in Southeastern MA and although we have had some snow most of the big storms have missed us or turned to rain. My JD just sits in the garage just waiting to go to work. My question, should I start it up once in a while just to keep everything ready or let it sit until that big storm comes. Any opinions?
Thanks, Ken

/ To start or not to start #2  
I'd run it once a month or so, just so there aren't any surprises when the big snow does decide to come.

If you do start it, let it get up to operating temp. This is better for the engine & allows the battery to charge up a bit as well.

Where in MA? I hail from Dartmouth, now live in West Newbury (Near Haverhill& Newburyport). We've got 2+ feet on the ground now. What a difference 100 miles makes!

/ To start or not to start #3  
Well Here goes, you should get a few on this one, start it up, warm it up and get soem moisture out of it. normal warm to cold will make moisture,plus it does not wnt to be alone out there and say nothing all winter=Talk with your tractor !!!

Lloyd

/ To start or not to start #4  
I can't speak for JD's recommendations, but the owner's manual for my NH TN55 provides a "to-do" list if the tractor is to be left idle for more than one month. Using the tractor monthly keeps the injectors lubricated.

/ To start or not to start
Hazmat, I live in North Dighton, MA not too far from where you used to live.
Ken

/ To start or not to start #7  
A few years ago, we were in Ct for vacation with friends. They took us from New Milford, up highway-7 I think, all the way up to Killington and Woodstock Vt. Did we pass close to you guys? It sure was beuatiful countryside up thata way.

We also took a day trip from New Milford up to Mystic. That was nice too.

/ To start or not to start #8  
When you shut it down, stuff a rag in the exhaust, and cover the air cleaner intake with a baggy so the machine doesn't suck in cold air as it cools down. This prevents moisture in the cold air from getting to the valves.
Definitely run it up every couple weeks. just remember to pull the rag out of the exhaust and remove the baggy first.

/ To start or not to start #9  
Robert,

You were a fair bit West of Dighton or West Newbury. New England sure is charming ehh?/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ To start or not to start #10  
IF IT WERE ME I WOULD START IT(oops) and run it and take it out and drive it, and cycle all the hydrualics a few times. just make sure you get everything good and warm and lubricated, course u could also drive it down here and move some of my snow/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif