Grease Gun and a Screwdriver

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #101  
I love this grease gun but I do see where the rubber hose makes it hard to put pressure and keep the tip on the fitting. Also, even with the tip adjusted down tight it was still easy to pull the tip off the zerk. I think its times someone invents a better way to grease equipment!!!!! :laughing:
I have a pistol type hand grease gun (IMO better than the two hand unit) and the best thing I ever did was to extend the hose by about a foot, makes the greasing job sooo much easier.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #102  
Fortunately everything on my tractor is easily reached with a straight push of my hand held grease gun with a straight pipe so I can put some real push on the thing to pump grease into balky zerks. I have other guns which I dont use anymore as the little handheld does everything I need. Now if you have a zerk that absolutely will not take grease, they make a tool to clean up the channel. Or you might just have to take apart whatever it is that wont take grease and clean out the old hardened grease and dirt and start over. I have never had to do that, I try to grease often.

James K0UA

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #103  
I came across a one piece grease gun tip. It's never been used so there's no grease in it. Since I didn't care about it I put the flat part in a vise and a pipe wrench on the knurled part and just destroyed it. All I can figure is it's a cheap pressed together head. I should have taken pictures.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #104  
I bought a new grease gun at Autozone today and there is nothing in there about the adjustment. I knew about it from somewhere, but I didn't know what knurled was, so this thread has enlightened me also.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #105  
Here is an explaination as to what a knurl can be.

Attachments

• knurl.jpg
    knurl.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 292
   / Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #106  
This thread was a learning experience for me although I've had mixed results adjusting the knurled tip and loosening it usually results in lube coming out the threads. Maybe I need a higher quality tip. Now if someone would just figure out a way to get that dang PTO coupling on easier... ;-[

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #107  
WOW! 11 pages on grease gun nipples and knurled tips, etc. IMPRESSIVE!
I must admit that even though I owned and ran a foreign car shop for more than ten years we didn't have to grease a lot of fittings- mostly because most cars no longer have grease fittings.
So when I got my first tractor I had to break out the old grease gun and it took me forEVER to grease the tractor! What a pain and time consuming too.:mad:
I thought, I'd better find a quicker way to do this job or its not going to get done very often. I had some trouble with some zerks, and couldn't get the end to release and did what everyone else did; cursed a lot, yanked and pulled and pried, etc. Then I got a pistol type gun because I hate the lever type for all the same reasons as mentioned. I had some trouble with it too and thought maybe I was doing something wrong. So I took some time to investigate. I found the hose end had flats for a wrench to attach and the tip was knurled so I took to dismantling the end. Low and behold I found one of the guns tips had a jaw that was upside down and therefore wouldn't work properly. So I fumbled with it until I thought it was right based on the other tip, and then I had the brilliant idea that maybe it was meant to be adjusted loose or tighter depending on the zerk fit.
Low and behold I was onto something! A genius I concluded I must be!:D
But dam med if I was 'gonna share my newly discovered idea with the rest of the world, so I bought out the printing company that used to write the grease gun instructions and ordered a bunch of cheap toilet paper and started printing the NEW instructions that NEVER include anything about twisting the tip!:laughing:
The rest is history- suckers!!:D

Moral of the story: NEVER look at the directions! Its like staring into the sun.
If it went together it must be able to come apart; unless its made in Taiwan, China, Mexico, Ubeakistan, Freakistan, or anywhere near yur ****.
If you think its a piece of junk and poorly designed by idiots it IS: refer to " if it went together above..."
If all else fails, then you're done- go home.:laughing:

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #108  
WOW! 11 pages on grease gun nipples and knurled tips, etc. IMPRESSIVE!
I must admit that even though I owned and ran a foreign car shop for more than ten years we didn't have to grease a lot of fittings- mostly because most cars no longer have grease fittings.
So when I got my first tractor I had to break out the old grease gun and it took me forEVER to grease the tractor! What a pain and time consuming too.:mad:
I thought, I'd better find a quicker way to do this job or its not going to get done very often. I had some trouble with some zerks, and couldn't get the end to release and did what everyone else did; cursed a lot, yanked and pulled and pried, etc. Then I got a pistol type gun because I hate the lever type for all the same reasons as mentioned. I had some trouble with it too and thought maybe I was doing something wrong. So I took some time to investigate. I found the hose end had flats for a wrench to attach and the tip was knurled so I took to dismantling the end. Low and behold I found one of the guns tips had a jaw that was upside down and therefore wouldn't work properly. So I fumbled with it until I thought it was right based on the other tip, and then I had the brilliant idea that maybe it was meant to be adjusted loose or tighter depending on the zerk fit.
Low and behold I was onto something! A genius I concluded I must be!:D
But dam med if I was 'gonna share my newly discovered idea with the rest of the world, so I bought out the printing company that used to write the grease gun instructions and ordered a bunch of cheap toilet paper and started printing the NEW instructions that NEVER include anything about twisting the tip!:laughing:
The rest is history- suckers!!:D

Moral of the story: NEVER look at the directions! Its like staring into the sun.
If it went together it must be able to come apart; unless its made in Taiwan, China, Mexico, Ubeakistan, Freakistan, or anywhere near yur ****.
If you think its a piece of junk and poorly designed by idiots it IS: refer to " if it went together above..."
If all else fails, then you're done- go home.:laughing:

OMG.. you DO have a sense of humor and a turn of phrase.!! I just picked myself up off of the floor..:laughing::laughing:

James K0UA

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #109  
OMG.. you DO have a sense of humor and a turn of phrase.!! I just picked myself up off of the floor..:laughing::laughing:

James K0UA

Thanks man! I appreciate the opportunity to hone my razor sharp wit whenever I can!:D This forum gives me plenty of opportunity.:laughing:

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #110  
I had a friend help me with some engine work last summer and he put on a pair of disposable latex gloves before he started and I've been sold ever since.

Call me dainty, but that's what I do too. I hate getting grease over all my other tools or my manual, or my tractor :laughing::laughing::laughing: so I end up pulling them off halfway through then putting another pair on. I must go through three pairs before I'm done. I'm still covered with grease everywhere but my hands, but at least my hands are clean so I'm not spreading grease all over the house when I go in.