Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7305

Default Re: Grease Gun and a Screwdriver

A very good point. I try to regularly inspect the entire tractor, but that only takes a couple minutes. I'm sure the greasing will get easier. Time to suck it up and do it before any more playing.

I'm about to start building a little tractor shed/barn on the land, too. Once I have a shed with a tool bench in it, I think this will all be easier to deal with.

Tractor
    CK20 HST

I love that post!

Since I started to read this post, I dont even look at my cheap grease gun anymore. I got myself a Linken one-hand grease gun / really nice! So far in this thread there haven't much reaction about battery operated grease gun two-hand vs one-hand. Anybody went for the air compress one?

Phil

What about grease for the FEL, is this an all time favorite?

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...%29_TDS_v1.pdf

Shell LubeMatch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grease Gun and a Screwdriver-linken-grease-gun.jpg  
    Phil

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7305

Ok, i'll chime in once more on this one.

Did the greasing last night, and it was no sweat. Not sure why I was complaining so much previously. Yes, I had to tighten and loosen the nozzle each time, but with gloves on and a good supply of rags it was no big deal. After 25 hours since the last time, almost every pivot point was still totally full of grease (as in, one pump and it was already squirting out), so that makes me feel a bit better.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by deezler View Post
    Ok, i'll chime in once more on this one.

Did the greasing last night, and it was no sweat. Not sure why I was complaining so much previously. Yes, I had to tighten and loosen the nozzle each time, but with gloves on and a good supply of rags it was no big deal. After 25 hours since the last time, almost every pivot point was still totally full of grease (as in, one pump and it was already squirting out), so that makes me feel a bit better.
    There see.. It wasn't all that bad now was it? You will be a pro in no time, and all the hate and discontent will be behind you.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by deezler View Post
    Easy, Coyote.

My tractor is up on my parcel of vacant land right now. No tools unless I cart them all out there. 10 hours comes in just 2 or 3 days of work. I work full time and the wife has a long list of other priorities for me. So finding a full hour just to grease it up seems like a tall order.

On the other hand, my tractor has 185 hours and already is getting worn out in some loader joints. You can see the main mounting point pins move around a little when you reef on stuff. I bought it with 135 hours and suspect the former owner never greased anything. (all zerks were caked with dirt... not grease).

So, I am already failing this machine, I acknowledge that. I'll do my best. :P

Oh and thanks James KOUA for the advice!

I agree- I'll ease up now that you seem to be getting the seriousness of doing the greasing whether you have time to do it or not. It's really cheap insurance when you think about it.
    I get it that you're pressed for time, who isn't?, but a little time with a good quality grease gun and some investment in your machine pays off in the short and long run. You didn't buy the cheapest tractor you could find, so apply the same principle to your tools for maintaining it. Just look at it as time well spent toward SAVING yourself money on repair bills which cost a he** of a lot more than greasing time/materials.
    You haven't failed your machine, you just haven't respected it enough yet.
    You'll get the hang of it....
    Keep plugging along.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (with reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger system. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Ford 1700, TaiShan Mountaineer 254, Owatawna Mustang Skid Loader, Huber Mainainer with Dozer blade

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote machine View Post
    I agree- I'll ease up now that you seem to be getting the seriousness of doing the greasing whether you have time to do it or not. It's really cheap insurance when you think about it.
    I get it that you're pressed for time, who isn't?, but a little time with a good quality grease gun and some investment in your machine pays off in the short and long run. You didn't buy the cheapest tractor you could find, so apply the same principle to your tools for maintaining it. Just look at it as time well spent toward SAVING yourself money on repair bills which cost a he** of a lot more than greasing time/materials.
    You haven't failed your machine, you just haven't respected it enough yet.
    You'll get the hang of it....
    Keep plugging along.
    As I have always heard on auto repair shows on both Tv & Radio
    "Grease is always Cheaper than Steel"

I have to admit I knew about the adjustment part of the tip before this thread.

The part of changing the grease tube that was hardest for me was to get the plunger to stay locked out. Eventually I resorted to using a small pair of vice grips to clamp down on the rod; because the place in the end cap that are supposed to hold it was worn out (I guess I did not lube it enough) .

I had a many a tube sent flying across the shop or field just picking it up to put the two halves back together.

Tractor
    Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    On the tip of your grease gun fitting you may notice a knurled area on the very tip. It is knurled so that you may twist it to loose it with your thumb and forefinger. If you twist it counterclockwise it should loosen and that will make the fit on the grease zerks very loose. if you tighten it, it will be very tight. I often loosen it to slip over the zerk very easily, then tighten it a little while on the zerk to stay on by itself, pump in the grease, and then loosen it to easily remove. If you cannot get it to twist to loosen, take a pair of pliers or 2 pair of pliers to hold both sections of the tip.

James K0UA
    Dang if I didn't learn something new today! Thanks. I'm going to check out all the guns I have at various places and check this out! Thanks!
    Frank
    Just an 8N so far...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    I saw one "cheapie" that did not have the jaws and did not adjust, it had like a hairpin spring across the nozzle instead of the 3 or 4 jaws. Could you post a couple of close up pix of it? looking into the nozzle and a side view? maybe we could help

James K0UA
    I thought all of them were like that!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Sixty-four here and still learning even though I've been greasing for nearly a half century. This forum is tops.
    Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

BX25, BX2750D Snowblower, Bro-Tek thumb, BXpanded Forks and Under Armor, Ballast Box, 3-PT Pallet Forks ...... My Kubota Pics

Gold Member
    Tractor
    jinma284

I have never noticed that. In the morning you just know where I will be, checking out my greese gun. I have always wondered why the fit is so sloppy on my tractors zerks.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast