Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast
    Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Default Re: Grease Gun and a Screwdriver

I used to struggle with zerks a lot in the past. I replaced the original nozzle with brand name etc. Nothing helped to remove it from the zerk. Then I figured it after I took the nozzle appart and took good look how it worked. There is a little rubber piston that serves two things: It pushes the jaws forward so they clamp on the head of the zerk and it provides a seal allowing the grease being pushed in the zerk without leakage. The secret is to to push the nozzle quite hard toward the zerk and hold it few seconds after you finish greasing. This action pushes the piston back releasing the jaws. Then just pull hard on the nozzle to remove it from the zerk. Needles to say that some time you might need to repeat the action.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

I guess I was just lucky that one time, long ago, a grease gun nozzle accidentally loosened up on me. That's when I noticed that when I screwed it back in it changed the grip on the fitting. I just wanted to mention that there are some other interesting configurations in addition to the standard nozzles. There's one for tight quarters that slides on sideways onto the fitting, and sometimes it's the easiest way to get on a fitting in a tight spot.
    Also, maybe lots of people do this, but I like to keep the grease gun and some extra cartridges and tips and rags in a toolbox with a latching lid, to grab and go where ever the tractor goes.
    -Jim

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by jimainiac View Post
    I guess I was just lucky that one time, long ago, a grease gun nozzle accidentally loosened up on me. That's when I noticed that when I screwed it back in it changed the grip on the fitting. I just wanted to mention that there are some other interesting configurations in addition to the standard nozzles. There's one for tight quarters that slides on sideways onto the fitting, and sometimes it's the easiest way to get on a fitting in a tight spot.
    Also, maybe lots of people do this, but I like to keep the grease gun and some extra cartridges and tips and rags in a toolbox with a latching lid, to grab and go where ever the tractor goes.
    If your grease gun tip was shipped loose, it must have escaped the 900 lb Gorilla with the torque wrench as the final stop on the assembly line

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    If your grease gun tip was shipped loose, it must have escaped the 900 lb Gorilla with the torque wrench as the final stop on the assembly line

James K0UA

Guess it was made on a Monday, and the gorilla called in sick.
    -Jim

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck in training View Post
    I used to struggle with zerks a lot in the past. I replaced the original nozzle with brand name etc. Nothing helped to remove it from the zerk. Then I figured it after I took the nozzle appart and took good look how it worked. There is a little rubber piston that serves two things: It pushes the jaws forward so they clamp on the head of the zerk and it provides a seal allowing the grease being pushed in the zerk without leakage. The secret is to to push the nozzle quite hard toward the zerk and hold it few seconds after you finish greasing. This action pushes the piston back releasing the jaws. Then just pull hard on the nozzle to remove it from the zerk. Needles to say that some time you might need to repeat the action.
    I was surprised when I learned about the nozzle adjustment on TractorByNet a few years ago, and now this!

I still have trouble disconnecting the grease gun. I blamed it on a cheap nozzle. I can hardly wait to try this trick the next time I grease(it's cool here now, so I'll wait until it's warmer).

On the other item, i.e. replacing the nozzle with a brand name one--what are brands to look for and is there a difference? So far, I've found only no-name ones in Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, etc.

Tractor
    GC1720 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I learned something new today!!

Thank you, James!!
    +1
    same here
    Robert

GC1720 TLB

Take-offs are optional but landings are mandatory!
    Blood goes round and round; air goes in and out. Any deviation of these two is a problem!

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by kco View Post
    I was surprised when I learned about the nozzle adjustment on TractorByNet a few years ago, and now this!

I still have trouble disconnecting the grease gun. I blamed it on a cheap nozzle. I can hardly wait to try this trick the next time I grease(it's cool here now, so I'll wait until it's warmer).

On the other item, i.e. replacing the nozzle with a brand name one--what are brands to look for and is there a difference? So far, I've found only no-name ones in Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, etc.
    Lincoln come to mind.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    No longer Searching. Mahindra 3016 Shuttle

In 1972 I bought my first new vehicle and first grease gun. The next payday I bought the flexible hose to put on my grease gun. The vehicle is long gone, but I still have the grease gun. I finally had to replace the coupler/fitting and flexible hose last year. I could no longer tighten the nozzle down enough to force the grease through the zerks consistently. I learned to buy all the various angle grease zerks and have them on hand for when I purchased a used piece of equipment. I would go through and replace the old zerks with new.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

One other thought on the subject of greasing. There are a couple of fittings on our loader and backhoe that you can't get grease into until you move the position of the equipment, that is, taking the weight off the particular joint. Anybody else have that experience?
    -Jim

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by kday64 View Post
    Hey all,

I justhad to attach the pictures below. I am pretty dang sure that there is no knurled knob that retracts the four jaws of my grease nozzle.

As you can see I tried to use force and it failed. Oh well I am guessing that I will have to go out and buy a new tip. Grrr...!!!!

I am quite please to see that it has only taken me 29 years to learn how to properly use grease guns.

~Kevin
    I know this is and old post #45 to be exact but in addition to learning that a grease gun tip is adjustable, lets look at the use of pliers, in this case visegrips. They grip like a pipe wrench and should always be turned in the right direction to grip rather than slip. I the case of visegrips, you should be turning it in the direction of the adjustment nut. Righty tighty-Left loosey. So if in the photo with the vise grips, the operator would be tightening the tip, to loosen the adjustment nut would be on top and one would be pulling up on the pliers while pushing down on the wrench. They still hold somewhat in reverse but slip more readily due to the cut in the jaws.
    NOW who all didn't know that.
    Next class will be on adjustable wrenches.
    Last edited by Gary Fowler; 02-14-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast