Grease Gun and a Screwdriver

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #131  
I used to struggle with zerks a lot in the past. I replaced the original nozzle with brand name etc. Nothing helped to remove it from the zerk. Then I figured it after I took the nozzle appart and took good look how it worked. There is a little rubber piston that serves two things: It pushes the jaws forward so they clamp on the head of the zerk and it provides a seal allowing the grease being pushed in the zerk without leakage. The secret is to to push the nozzle quite hard toward the zerk and hold it few seconds after you finish greasing. This action pushes the piston back releasing the jaws. Then just pull hard on the nozzle to remove it from the zerk. Needles to say that some time you might need to repeat the action.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #132  
I guess I was just lucky that one time, long ago, a grease gun nozzle accidentally loosened up on me. That's when I noticed that when I screwed it back in it changed the grip on the fitting. I just wanted to mention that there are some other interesting configurations in addition to the standard nozzles. There's one for tight quarters that slides on sideways onto the fitting, and sometimes it's the easiest way to get on a fitting in a tight spot.
Also, maybe lots of people do this, but I like to keep the grease gun and some extra cartridges and tips and rags in a toolbox with a latching lid, to grab and go where ever the tractor goes.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #133  
I guess I was just lucky that one time, long ago, a grease gun nozzle accidentally loosened up on me. That's when I noticed that when I screwed it back in it changed the grip on the fitting. I just wanted to mention that there are some other interesting configurations in addition to the standard nozzles. There's one for tight quarters that slides on sideways onto the fitting, and sometimes it's the easiest way to get on a fitting in a tight spot.
Also, maybe lots of people do this, but I like to keep the grease gun and some extra cartridges and tips and rags in a toolbox with a latching lid, to grab and go where ever the tractor goes.

If your grease gun tip was shipped loose, it must have escaped the 900 lb Gorilla with the torque wrench as the final stop on the assembly line:D

James K0UA

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #134  
If your grease gun tip was shipped loose, it must have escaped the 900 lb Gorilla with the torque wrench as the final stop on the assembly line:D

James K0UA

Guess it was made on a Monday, and the gorilla called in sick.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #135  
I used to struggle with zerks a lot in the past. I replaced the original nozzle with brand name etc. Nothing helped to remove it from the zerk. Then I figured it after I took the nozzle appart and took good look how it worked. There is a little rubber piston that serves two things: It pushes the jaws forward so they clamp on the head of the zerk and it provides a seal allowing the grease being pushed in the zerk without leakage. The secret is to to push the nozzle quite hard toward the zerk and hold it few seconds after you finish greasing. This action pushes the piston back releasing the jaws. Then just pull hard on the nozzle to remove it from the zerk. Needles to say that some time you might need to repeat the action.

I was surprised when I learned about the nozzle adjustment on TractorByNet a few years ago, and now this!:eek:

I still have trouble disconnecting the grease gun. I blamed it on a cheap nozzle. I can hardly wait to try this trick the next time I grease(it's cool here now, so I'll wait until it's warmer).

On the other item, i.e. replacing the nozzle with a brand name one--what are brands to look for and is there a difference? So far, I've found only no-name ones in Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, etc.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #137  
I was surprised when I learned about the nozzle adjustment on TractorByNet a few years ago, and now this!:eek:

I still have trouble disconnecting the grease gun. I blamed it on a cheap nozzle. I can hardly wait to try this trick the next time I grease(it's cool here now, so I'll wait until it's warmer).

On the other item, i.e. replacing the nozzle with a brand name one--what are brands to look for and is there a difference? So far, I've found only no-name ones in Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, etc.

Lincoln come to mind.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #138  
In 1972 I bought my first new vehicle and first grease gun. The next payday I bought the flexible hose to put on my grease gun. The vehicle is long gone, but I still have the grease gun. I finally had to replace the coupler/fitting and flexible hose last year. I could no longer tighten the nozzle down enough to force the grease through the zerks consistently. I learned to buy all the various angle grease zerks and have them on hand for when I purchased a used piece of equipment. I would go through and replace the old zerks with new.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #139  
One other thought on the subject of greasing. There are a couple of fittings on our loader and backhoe that you can't get grease into until you move the position of the equipment, that is, taking the weight off the particular joint. Anybody else have that experience?

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #140  
Hey all,

I justhad to attach the pictures below. I am pretty dang sure that there is no knurled knob that retracts the four jaws of my grease nozzle.

As you can see I tried to use force and it failed. Oh well I am guessing that I will have to go out and buy a new tip. Grrr...!!!!

I am quite please to see that it has only taken me 29 years to learn how to properly use grease guns.

~Kevin
I know this is and old post #45 to be exact but in addition to learning that a grease gun tip is adjustable, lets look at the use of pliers, in this case visegrips. They grip like a pipe wrench and should always be turned in the right direction to grip rather than slip. I the case of visegrips, you should be turning it in the direction of the adjustment nut. Righty tighty-Left loosey. So if in the photo with the vise grips, the operator would be tightening the tip, to loosen the adjustment nut would be on top and one would be pulling up on the pliers while pushing down on the wrench. They still hold somewhat in reverse but slip more readily due to the cut in the jaws.
NOW who all didn't know that.
Next class will be on adjustable wrenches.

Last edited: