Grease Gun and a Screwdriver

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #191  
Thanks James, you always have helpful tips!

Your welcome.. I am always pleased to make someones life a little easier.

Oh, by the way I have a bunch of those 1/8 inch Zerks left over is someone wants to drop by and leave with one for free.. I had to buy a whole package..

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #192  
But James never did explain whether that screw driver thingy demo was for left hand turns or right hand turns.:confused3:

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #193  
But James never did explain whether that screw driver thingy demo was for left hand turns or right hand turns.:confused3:

Yah, operation of that screwdriver thingy, is really beyond the scope of my knowledge base...:)

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #194  
I have to admit, I read the thread only to page 12 and can't resist any longer to comment.

After 6 years after the OP, I still didn't know. I'm 46 right now and won't qualify for 'the oldest'.

I have two grease guns, a two-hand lever action and a pneumatic. I agree on the priming issue a poster mentioned somewhere.
Recently I bought three cheap cartridges of grease and two of them have air pockets locked in. They were a PITA. I never buy them again.

One of the tip started to leak grease out to the side. Depending which gun wasn't affected by the bad cartridges and worked, I changed the tips.

I put a new grease tip on the Financial Minister's shopping list.

When she and the kids came home, they mentioned a difference of three jaws vs four jaws. I didn't know the difference, I wasn't old enough yet.
Now, the new tip IS tight and difficult to get off some zerks.

What I discovered in the past with the side leaking is, that not always pushing the tip on to the zerks and hold it there is the solution. Sometimes I had to release the forward pressure and let the jaws hug the zerks and it would seal and not leak.

By the time I get home I will start my research to confirm your reports. If it proofs to be true, I make sure to tell my 15 year old son about it. He should not life another 30 or even 60 years until he learns this.

I really like this forum and enjoy reading on here. I apreciate the willingness of the experienced members to share their knowledge..... including a nice portion of humor about (their) "density".

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #195  
I have to admit, I read the thread only to page 12 and can't resist any longer to comment.

After 6 years after the OP, I still didn't know. I'm 46 right now and won't qualify for 'the oldest'.

I have two grease guns, a two-hand lever action and a pneumatic. I agree on the priming issue a poster mentioned somewhere.
Recently I bought three cheap cartridges of grease and two of them have air pockets locked in. They were a PITA. I never buy them again.

One of the tip started to leak grease out to the side. Depending which gun wasn't affected by the bad cartridges and worked, I changed the tips.

I put a new grease tip on the Financial Minister's shopping list.

When she and the kids came home, they mentioned a difference of three jaws vs four jaws. I didn't know the difference, I wasn't old enough yet.
Now, the new tip IS tight and difficult to get off some zerks.

What I discovered in the past with the side leaking is, that not always pushing the tip on to the zerks and hold it there is the solution. Sometimes I had to release the forward pressure and let the jaws hug the zerks and it would seal and not leak.

By the time I get home I will start my research to confirm your reports. If it proofs to be true, I make sure to tell my 15 year old son about it. He should not life another 30 or even 60 years until he learns this.

I really like this forum and enjoy reading on here. I apreciate the willingness of the experienced members to share their knowledge..... including a nice portion of humor about (their) "density".

A Lock n Lube tip can make life a bit easier too. I have one.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #196  
I am 70 1/2 and I just learned. I spent several of my teen years working in a service station doing 1$ grease jobs. I grew up in Tennessee where people are naturally smarter.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #197  
James - after 5 years using the Lock n Lube I have to say it works really well and I probably use it 90% of the time. It does make it harder to get at Zerks in corners and other tight spots, though. After 5 years of getting covered with grease every time I had to change the tip, I found one of those mini grease guns that I'd bought & promptly lost, even before I got the Lock n Lube ... much density, I know. Now I keep a right angle tip on the mini & no Zerk I can't deal with - even without a screwdriver!
Grease Gun Right Angle Thingy.jpg

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #198  
James - after 5 years using the Lock n Lube I have to say it works really well and I probably use it 90% of the time. It does make it harder to get at Zerks in corners and other tight spots, though. After 5 years of getting covered with grease every time I had to change the tip, I found one of those mini grease guns that I'd bought & promptly lost, even before I got the Lock n Lube ... much density, I know. Now I keep a right angle tip on the mini & no Zerk I can't deal with - even without a screwdriver!
View attachment 522666

Yep, you are fully armed. Cocked, Locked, and Ready to Rock. :thumbsup:

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #199  
So I just read this thread about an hour ago. Since then I have been greasing fool! I have replaced several guns because they were a pain to get on and off the fittings. Wow do I feel stupid now!

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #200  
So I just read this thread about an hour ago. Since then I have been greasing fool! I have replaced several guns because they were a pain to get on and off the fittings. Wow do I feel stupid now!

No problem, Many an older fellow has went on to his reward without knowing that little piece of info.

73..de K0UA