Grease Gun and a Screwdriver

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #31  
Ok, I knew to move tip to adjust, but what is a knurl? I'm only 50 and if I do anything during the day, I usually learn something.

Eddie

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #32  
Ok, I knew to move tip to adjust, but what is a knurl? I'm only 50 and if I do anything during the day, I usually learn something.

Eddie

Knurling is a process of cutting criss-cross grooves in metal to obtain a gripping surface so that a person get a grip on something to be able to turn it with your fingers instead of having hexagonal flats on it to turn with a wrench. Of course on a grease gun tip, it is usually just some rolled in little grooves, and not really classical knurling. Knurling is usually done on a lathe. An example of good knurling is often found on a Reloading Die. ( a Die to reload metallic cartridges) to allow fine adjustments to the Die to be made with your fingers.

James K0UA

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #33  
I have watched many mechanics grease the underside of my truck. I always thought they carried the nozzle in a rag to wipe away the excess grease. Now I know they carry the nozzle in a rag to get a grip on the knurled nozzle to "open and close it."

Boy, greasing the tractor just might be fun after all.??:laughing:

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #34  
I had a grease gun where the head had 4 leaf springs to hold it on, and that head was a mother to remove.

I then found a grease gun head that only had 3 leaf springs to hold it on, and that one is reasonably easy to remove every time.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #35  
I have watched many mechanics grease the underside of my truck. I always thought they carried the nozzle in a rag to wipe away the excess grease. Now I know they carry the nozzle in a rag to get a grip on the knurled nozzle to "open and close it."

Boy, greasing the tractor just might be fun after all.??:laughing:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope you are kidding us.

If the gun nozzle had to be adjusted each zerk it would have taken at least 2 hours to grease a New Holland baler of the 1950s.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #36  
Go take a look at it....
I'd alway thought the knurl was to allow removal of the tip for replacement.

same, maybe just doing it, and not even realizing it.

i always had problems, when my hand gets a little bit of grease on it. to be able to roll the end off to one side. or get in a spot were i could not pop the end off at an angle from the zerk.

on the todo list to look.

it is just that, it seems so obvious, that you never think about it.
*is really second guessing himself*

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #38  
Ok class first we'll start with the screwdriver, then on to the grease gun.

20060310001745-gl-school-mechanically-declined.jpg

Can't believe I found this, always loved that one.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #39  
I'm with the OP, kday64, what gives? At 78 I'm been greasing my stuff and others' without any fooling around with the coupler. But adjusting to modern life does require more jacking around with details. I guess there will be more flat spots on these old heads in the process. Other examples might be marriage, resumes (getting a job) etc., how many of the old heads ever went to a counselor, or filled out a "resume"....or took a drug test for that matter?
Most of us stayed married for life...most of us were skilled and dedicated to our jobs year in and year out.:cool:

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #40  
Ok class first we'll start with the screwdriver, then on to the grease gun.

20060310001745-gl-school-mechanically-declined.jpg

Can't believe I found this, always loved that one.

So...that's how it works...