Grease Gun and a Screwdriver

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #1  

kday64

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Hi all,

I am curious if other folks have a hard time pulling thier grease guns off of zerk fittings. I have been using a flat head screw driver to help me get a little leverage to pop the grease gun off of the zerk fittings.

I am using a Lucas Hand pump grease gun with red and sticky #2 grease.

I know I don't want the grease gun fittings to be too loose but I dont remember having this problem on my father's old tractor.

~Kevin

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #2  
On the tip of your grease gun fitting you may notice a knurled area on the very tip. It is knurled so that you may twist it to loose it with your thumb and forefinger. If you twist it counterclockwise it should loosen and that will make the fit on the grease zerks very loose. if you tighten it, it will be very tight. I often loosen it to slip over the zerk very easily, then tighten it a little while on the zerk to stay on by itself, pump in the grease, and then loosen it to easily remove. If you cannot get it to twist to loosen, take a pair of pliers or 2 pair of pliers to hold both sections of the tip.

James K0UA

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #3  
k0ua said:
On the tip of your grease gun fitting you may notice a knurled area on the very tip. It is knurled so that you may twist it to loose it with your thumb and forefinger. If you twist it counterclockwise it should loosen and that will make the fit on the grease zerks very loose. if you tighten it, it will be very tight. I often loosen it to slip over the zerk very easily, then tighten it a little while on the zerk to stay on by itself, pump in the grease, and then loosen it to easily remove. If you cannot get it to twist to loosen, take a pair of pliers or 2 pair of pliers to hold both sections of the tip.

James K0UA

Exactly what I was about to say. If you can't get the tip adjusted, go down to your local auto parts store and get a replacement tip for your grease gun that is easily adjusted.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #4  
You can usually get them adjusted so they will stay on when pumping grease and pop off when pulled a little. Then you dont have to loosen tighten all the time. Takes a little to find the sweet spot.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #5  

James K0UA

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
I learned something new today!!

Thank you, James!!

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #6  
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, James!!

Me too. I had to go out to the garage to make sure my grease guns work that way.

How embarrasing--68 years old and I never figured that out! No one ever told me, so I wonder if any of them knew.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #7  
I learned something new about grease guns about 60 years ago. Roll the tip to one side and it will nearly fall off. I've never had to adjust a gun tip and I've greased my share of zerks.

And I suspect the asian made junk is causing some problems too.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #8  
We have a hard time getting it off the BH stabilizer zerks...I still have to try the adjustment mentioned above.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #9  
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, James!!

Me too. I had to go out to the garage to make sure my grease guns work that way.

How embarrasing--68 years old and I never figured that out! No one ever told me, so I wonder if any of them knew.

Glad to help out a little guys:) What the other fella said about finding the "sweet spot" can work too.. but sometimes not all zerks are the same size, so you have to adjust a little at times.

James K0UA

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #10  
To get at the zerks on the FEL main anchor pins (the ones at the top of the main frame) you have to stick the gun thru a hole in the standard. Once the pins are greased I just lift the FEL and it tilts the zerk in the gun until it pops off easy...(JD 4300)
I'va also pulled many of the pins and ground small grouves in them so the grease can flow to the outer ends a little easier...on mine the zerks are in the middle of the pin tube, not on the ends of the pins where they should be..