Fuel for old tractors - Lead?

/ Fuel for old tractors - Lead? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I've been looking for a vintage "lawn" tractor to mow my grass - something like a Farmall/IH Cub or Allis B/C with a belly mower. How cool would that be in the 'burbs? Anyway, it got me thinking - can I even safely run pump gas in these things? Surely none of the fuel system seals are ethanol-resistant, and the motors are designed for leaded gas. What do you vintage iron owners use in your tanks? Do fuel system seals need to be updated? Do you put in a lead replacement additive of some kind?

JayC

/ Fuel for old tractors - Lead? #2  
My brothers and I own a Ford NAA and two 600's, we use an additive that is suppose to replace the effects of lead.

/ Fuel for old tractors - Lead? #3  
the best thing for those old motors is to find gas with out E85 in it.but thats like looking for a needle in a haystack.

/ Fuel for old tractors - Lead? #4  
Check out additives as TripleR has stated.
Not the easiest but most of the time they work.

/ Fuel for old tractors - Lead?
As far as I know, we don't have any non-ethanol fuel available in my area - everything is 10%. So, for the next question: should I avoid old tractors that have been run WITHOUT additives (or plan on early valve jobs for those)?

JayC

/ Fuel for old tractors - Lead? #6  
I honestly don't know as there seems to be some disagreement and I am not a mechanic; maybe one will show up with a definitive answer.

Fortunately, my brother is a mechanic, so I can usually check with him when I don't know which happens more than i care to admit.

/ Fuel for old tractors - Lead? #7  
I run lead additive in all my old iron. The lead was a lubricant, so I assume the additive is not real lead, but I don't know. The engines will run without lead, however premature valve wear will result. When it will become a problem is a hard call, under light loads (mowing grass) many will last a long time with no ill effects. It will not hurt a newer engine to run the additive so I run it when ever I am in doubt. As to weather or not ethanol will ruin the engines, who knows. I think the ethanol will eventually ruin all engines, including the ones made for it, save the planet. I have had great sucess running old iron and I think a lot of people are overlooking great old tractors simply because they are old and not shiny. We still work a Ford NAA 12 months a year doing general farm work and it has preformed excellent, not to say a newer one wouldn't have done the same.

I say go for the old!!!

/ Fuel for old tractors - Lead? #8  
You do not have to add the lead additive to every tankfull. Once the valves are coated, that coating holds for a long time. Using lead additive for a couple of tanks of fuel will probably make your tractor good to go for at least 6 months. I had one old tractor dealer tell me that most tractors have enough lead already on them that you need not worry ever. Certainly, if hardened valve seats have been used on a recent engine rebuild, lead is not necessary. If I were buying an old tractor with many hours on the engine, I'd run a couple of tanks full of gas with lead additive and then never again.

It's your choice, but those who sell additives may not be the best to seek advice from. Their interest is in selling their additive. They will say to err on the side of caution and use their product in every tank. You can hardly blame them for that logic. If it makes you sleep better at night, by all means use the additive.:)

/ Fuel for old tractors - Lead? #9  
Can you even buy a lead additive anymore. I thought that stuff was banned by the EPA a long time ago.

/ Fuel for old tractors - Lead? #10  
Can you even buy a lead additive anymore. I thought that stuff was banned by the EPA a long time ago.

The stuff we use is a "lead substitute", so not banned by the EPA as I understand it.