Explain Sway Bars

/ Explain Sway Bars #1  

Anonymous Poster

Whats the difference between telescoping and turnbuckle and what are the advantages & disadvatages.

/ Explain Sway Bars #2  
The best thing would be to stop by a tractor dealer and look at tractors with each. I don't have any good pictures to help, but I'll try to answer your question.

My B7100 had the turnbuckles (and I'm assuming you know what a turnbuckle is). When you hooked up an implement, then you had to turn and turn and turn that thing to tighten it up so the implement could not swing side to side. Also had a jam nut to tighten against the turnbuckle on each side to keep them from loosening up while you were working. When you went to change implements, you had to loosen the jam nuts, then loosen both turnbuckles so the lower links would spread enough to get them off the implement pins, put the new implement on and retighten everything. Time consuming.

My B2710 had the telescoping sway control. Just pull the pin out of the holes in each one, swing the lower links in or out to where you wanted them and stick the pins back in the proper holes (mine also had hairpin clips to put on the bottom end of the pins then so they could accidentally fall out). Much quicker and less effort.

/ Explain Sway Bars #3  
Telescoping = pop a pin, lift arms swing freely. Pic attached.

Turnbuckle = as name implies, twist one way to lengthen, other to shorten.

It's a lot easier to swap implements with telescoping bars. Telescoping bars require no tools. Telescoping maintain their length setting. Telescoping can be set to limit or allow a bit of play by selecting round or slotted holes to drop the pins through. Using the round holes limits the sideplay almost entirely. With telescoping, it's a snap to shift the implement's position behind the tractor.

Telescoping disadvantage, let me think. OK, you can lose the pins?

I have one tractor w/ turnbuckles, and another w/ telescoping. IMHO, telescoping is a dream compared with turnbuckles...................chim

Attachments

• 47-226022-P5290016.JPG
    47-226022-P5290016.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 204
   / Explain Sway Bars #4  
<font color=blue>Telescoping disadvantage, let me think. OK, you can lose the pins?</font color=blue>
On the Boomer D models, the pins are attached via a short chain, so you can't lose them /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I agree, telescoping are the way to go.

/ Explain Sway Bars #5  
But...if you do have turnbuckles...keep them lubricated (antisieze)

/ Explain Sway Bars #6  
I still have turnbuckles, but I have added an assist to make it easier to turn them.
I cut off the big end of a quick hitch adapter, knurled it for a better grip, welded it to the nut that turns the turnbuckel.
Now I can turn it easy with my fingers, no wrench needed, and I keep it lubricated to avoid rust.
Not as easy, but simple and free. you could weld a bar, or a square, or a large nut and do the same thing
See attached photos.
Jim C

Attachments

• 47-226115-turnbuckle.jpg
    47-226115-turnbuckle.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 198
   / Explain Sway Bars #8  
OK Here is the 2nd photo

Attachments

• 47-226117-tb2.jpg
    47-226117-tb2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 202