Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck!

/ Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck! #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
Headed up to our farm (also known as "the Hill") to start the transfer from winter chores to summer... maybe do a little brush mowing to shred up the dead vegetation. I went out to the garage to start the tractor... nothing. Hmm... battery's been a little weak all winter, but usually a little charge will bring it back to life. I hooked up the charger and went in the house to have a little coffee. Puttered around win a couple other things to give the charger time to do its thing and after a couple hours, I decided to give it another shot. Nothing! I guess the battery's really toast this time. It came with the tractor when I bought it used, and the dates were never punched out, so who knows how old it is?

The old battery is a New Holland. I have no idea who makes their batteries, so I think I'll get an Interstate Megatron this time. They've always done well for me in the past, so I know what to expect... After my next paycheck.

Oh well, another weekend wasted.

Anyone else have their favorite battery?

Joe

/ Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck! #2  
Always a pain and just when needed bad.

Have you double checked the battery cable connections at the battery? Sometimes they can corrode and lose connection (even when they look tight).

/ Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck! #3  
Agree about checking the connections first. Be sure there is water in the cells.

If the battery charger has a meter to indicate a charge then it should tell you if the battery is good because not many amps will be indicated in a charged battery.

If the battery has an open cell then the charger will not indicate any amps.

If the charger has a fancy "start" setting you could try that to see if the tractor will turn over.

You can also check to see if you are getting 12V across the posts, then check across the connectors. Use a meter instead of a light since it doesn't take much to light a light.

If all fails, I buy Costco batteries. Just measure the tractor's battery tray and height and get something that fits. Check that the posts are oriented correctly. It is not a "tractor-rugged" battery but if it fails withing the warranty it will be replaced free. You essentially have a battery for life if you change it out every three years.

/ Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck! #4  
If all fails, I buy Costco batteries. Just measure the tractor's battery tray and height and get something that fits. Check that the posts are oriented correctly. It is not a "tractor-rugged" battery but if it fails withing the warranty it will be replaced free. You essentially have a battery for life if you change it out every three years.

Just replaced my Deere's battery. I took the OEM battery to the store with me so I was sure I got one that would fit the existing hold downs.
I got an Interstate, BTW. Figure about $85 or thereabouts.

/ Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck! #5  
I replaced my battery last Fall.

The one bugger I had was that the old polarity studs were opposite on the new battery. In other words, the negative on the old is where the positive is on the new. I had just enough slack in the cables to make it work.

I would also add here that the change out was a piece of cake. Lots of room in the battery compartment which helped a lot in my case.

/ Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck! #6  
I recently put a new COSTCO battery in mine. Forgot that I had bought the old one 7 yrs before. Lasted better than any DIEHARD I've bought before and the new one is 96 mo wqarranty:thumbsup:

/ Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck!
Sorry guys, no Costco within a gazillion miles of me. My choices are Exide, NAPA, Interstate, or whatever the New Holland dealer sells. Is there really a difference between automotive and "tractor-rugged" batteries, or is it just another marketing gimmick?

Joe

/ Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck! #8  
... After my next paycheck.
Joe

A $1,000 emergency fund will keep you from getting knocked on your back like this. Just a suggestion from somebody that's "been there".

Mike :)

/ Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck! #9  
you could probably use your car battery for now.

/ Gah! Dead battery. C'mon, paycheck!
A $1,000 emergency fund will keep you from getting knocked on your back like this. Just a suggestion from somebody that's "been there".

Mike :)
Actually, we have a two checking accounts with a fair amount in them. I'm just the type who likes to save those accounts for the big stuff. I'm a cash and carry kind of guy. So, technically,I can afford it, but I'm choosing to save my accounts for the real emergencies. That being said, I've been away from the farm for the week, so there's no time to drive or work on the tractor anyway. :(

Since my last post, I borrowed my Dad's battery load tester. The battery is fine. My little waiting period has given me a chance to sit back, do more testing, and save on what would have been a very foolish purchase. We're looking at a bad ignition switch. I've got the local New Holland Dealer ordering a new one. We'll put in a temporary measure this weekend just to get it going while we wait for the new switch.

Joe