Traction ztr stuck in mud

/ ztr stuck in mud #1  

jlp14346

Tractor
deere z445
Hi

New member here - first post.

I have a deere z445 mower and its been a very wet spring in northeast ohio. I was out trying to cut the grass the other day and I got my ztr stuck in the lawn/mud several times in low wet spots. Rocking back and forth just seemed to dig it in deeper. Fortunately, I had a come along and some rope and I managed to winch it out each time

This is our first year at this home and it is a sloped yard towards the street where there is a drainage ditch. Also the back is sloped to one side. Anyhow with the record rainfall this year the whole yard (even the high spots) feel like a sponge when you walk on it. I am hesitant to try cutting the back for fear of getting it stuck again.

Several questions from this experience:

1. Would different tires with a higher profile tread help or would they just dig up the yard?
2. Is there some other technique for getting unstuck?
3. Would a regular lawn tractor where the weight is more evenly balanced over the four wheels be better that a ztr for soft lawns?

thanks for the help

John

/ ztr stuck in mud #2  
Hate to say this....wait until it dries up.Why rut up your lawn;you got all summer to cut grass.My back is all clay..standing water right now...don't like it but I have to wait,grass is six inches high right now.I am going to french drain my worst areas this summer,some-thing you may want to think about.

/ ztr stuck in mud #3  
Also agree w/nybirdman,not unless you have some extra $$'s.

/ ztr stuck in mud #4  
I'm in the wait it out camp as well! I would think non-turf tires would rip up the grass pretty good in tight radius turns. When I mow at this time of year (or whenever its pretty wet), I look at the set of tracks from the last time around, if I see any dirt/mud in either of the tracks, I don't go any further in to that likely wet area (usually the "downhill" track will have a slightly dirty look to it from water kicking up ).

/ ztr stuck in mud #5  
ztr's are real tough to get the traction as the steering is built into the drive wheels. Same goes with slopes and wet grass as traction to steer is necessary.

Two wheels (or 4wd) driving with two steering helps for wet spots, but agree on the points to not mess up the lawn. Let it dry and mow the tall grass once or twice later.

/ ztr stuck in mud #6  
1. Would different tires with a higher profile tread help or would they just dig up the yard?
2. Is there some other technique for getting unstuck?
3. Would a regular lawn tractor where the weight is more evenly balanced over the four wheels be better that a ztr for soft lawns?

Rule #1 for mowing grass is to NOT mow it when it is wet. Wait for the ground to dry up. If you have a chronically wet area, either just leave it alone and let it overgrow, or fill it with rocks and call it a day.

JayC

/ ztr stuck in mud #7  
the first year on my property with my Z I fought to mow all areas and i got my JD 997 Z stuck 3 times per mow and it was covered in mud and i worried about pulling it out with the tractor each time - affraid i was going to damange the trans. i have since learned my land and i stay away from the wet areas until about june - no one else notices the high wet spots and i finished the lawn clean faster and in a better mood. my advice, just learn your land and stay away from the wet areas until it drys out.

/ ztr stuck in mud #8  
I have my second Toro ZTR and I learned early that it's very easy to get in a situation where they just spin their wheels. However, when I had a Cub Cadet lawn tractor, I got it stuck mowing the borrow ditch and had to go get my Kubota to pull it out.:laughing: So I don't know that a lawn tractor would be much advantage; perhaps just a little.

/ ztr stuck in mud #9  
Wait it out. Nothing good is going to come out of going into spongy soil to mow. Anything but turf tires are just going to tear up the yard, its easy enough on regular turf tires with a zero-turn mower.

I use a Toro commercial ZTR on my lawn, and have got it stuck a few times trying to cross a shallow ditch or getting a few inches too close to the wet spots. Just pulled it out with an ATV with a winch. If your JD is similar to the Toro drive system, using hydraulic motors to power the drive wheels, be sure to unlock/release the hydraulics before pulling the ZTR out of the mud. Done by flipping a lever on each of the two hydraulic motors on the Toro, YMMV.

/ ztr stuck in mud #10  
I've battled this same situation for years living on the side of a mountain in VT. I have a Kubota B2920 with a belly mower that will go through it if you want giant ruts in the lawn. Obviously that is not ideal.

The best thing to do is wait until it dries a bit. However, If the grass gets too tall it will slow the drying process of the clay assuming the sun finally comes out. It was the wettest April on record here in VT.

If you find that it never dries out, (Some of our soil doesnt dry out until August) you can buy a push mower to finish the spots you cannot get with the ZTR. You can also buy an old wheelhorse with a manual transmission. These are not too heavy and tend to be able to get through the mud. The beauty of the manual tranny is that if you get stuck, you can turn the mower off and leave it in gear and push it out with the wheels turning.

To eliminate the need to do all of this you can dig curtain drains or try mixing sand into the clay with a rototiller and reseeding the lawn. You would be suprised how much this lets the water drain through your exisiting clay.

Good luck. Happy Mudding!