Backhoe Backhoe work L39

/ Backhoe work L39 #1  

mbradey

Tractor
Kubota L39, L45, IH3414
Finally got to do some real work with my Kubota L39 TLB this weekend. Dug a trench across the driveway, installed a culvert and then thanks to TBN posters tried falling some trees with the backhoe. I tested it out on a small 10 inch tree about 35 feet tall and was done in around 10 minutes. Couple of scoops to snap the roots then just push it over. The next tree was oak about 3 1/2 feet across, 70 feet tall. Took about 2 hours to dig out half the roots and then I pushed it over. It came half way down and was hung up in another tree. Took many hours and a chain saw to get it right down, cut it up and get the rootball out. Got stuck and figured out how to use the backhoe to lift the tractor and move it. Hope you enjoy the pictures. I have about 30 more trees to remove....
Pic 1 - The tree half down
Pic 2 - Digging the tree
Pic 3 - After being stuck
Pic 4 - Firewood

Attachments

• MIKES NEW COTTAGE 006.jpg
    MIKES NEW COTTAGE 006.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 241
  • MIKES NEW COTTAGE 010.jpg
    MIKES NEW COTTAGE 010.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 269
  • MIKES NEW COTTAGE 005.jpg
    MIKES NEW COTTAGE 005.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 271
  • MIKES NEW COTTAGE 003.jpg
    MIKES NEW COTTAGE 003.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 235
   / Backhoe work L39 #2  
Man, use a chainsaw and dig the stumps out later. You're gonna kill yourself like that.

/ Backhoe work L39
Man, use a chainsaw and dig the stumps out later. You're gonna kill yourself like that.

I read a whole long post here on TBN where this was safer than using a chain saw. Lots more fun...Ended up using a chainsaw after it hung up in another tree and i tried to pull it down with a chain but broke the chain. Besides it was my first time working the backhoe, have to learn somehow. It was very safe as the tree was leaning a bit and I knew which way it would come down.

/ Backhoe work L39 #4  
I find it much easier to fell the tree with hoe than to cut down and then stump the weight of the tree really helps

If using excavator then entirely different story, a 25000 pound machine pops stumps out like they are nothing

Joel

/ Backhoe work L39
Im a believer now. Using the backhoe pops up the rootball and saves a lot of digging time. The rootball on this tree was almost the size of the tractor. Had to use the chainsaw to cut through some of the roots as they were 8 to 10 inches.

/ Backhoe work L39 #6  
I will be honest with you, Even with a back hoe (L39 and a bigger Case 680) I have all but given up on stumps.

I cut the tree with a chain saw then cut the stump close to the ground.

Then I call a local guy with a stump grinder.

/ Backhoe work L39
Grinding the stumps was not an option for me as I will be building a garage where the trees are coming down. Besides its more seat time.

/ Backhoe work L39 #8  
Your doing a fine job. Keep going and enjoy yourself. If done right The back hoe is Safer than a chain saw. :thumbsup:

If you need instructions on how to "Get Stuck" let me know, I am an Expert. :D Last summer I was so stuck I had a man pushing with my back hoe while I pulled with the front bucket. :laughing:

/ Backhoe work L39
Your doing a fine job. Keep going and enjoy yourself. If done right The back hoe is Safer than a chain saw. :thumbsup:

If you need instructions on how to "Get Stuck" let me know, I am an Expert. :D Last summer I was so stuck I had a man pushing with my back hoe while I pulled with the front bucket. :laughing:

That made me laugh. I don't think I need instructions on how to get stuck as I seem to come by it naturally. It was my fault for not leaving enough room between the trees and where I dug the hole. A rookie mistake for sure, but I will continue to learn. It does get tippy when moving the back end with the hoe.

/ Backhoe work L39 #10  
Digging around a tree for hours at a time is dangerous. You are loosening the roots and taking away the trees support. The wind could blow it down on top of you. That 70' tree would make a huge dent in the FOPS.

I have had operators with decades of experience take down trees that size with 20 ton and larger excavators. They do it in a scoop or three and can control the tree. Even they are reluctant to attack a tree their machine will not pick up.

Why not cut the trees with a chainsaw at shoulder height then dig up the roots and push the stump over with the FEL?