Mowing HP needed for mowing

/ HP needed for mowing #21  
If you use a hog quite a lot, I would definetly go with a slip clutch. Having to keep an armload of shear bolts is a pain. With the hp, I like to have a gearbox that my tractor is hp is in the lower range of the mower capacity. Sudden stoppages are tough on equipment. Be sure to set the slip clutch so that it will not hurt the tractor. By having a mower that is capable of more hp it will last much longer and if you ever trade up it will handle it.

/ HP needed for mowing #22  
You want your gear box rated higher than the PTO hp. That protects the tractor from destroying the gearbox. The sheer bolt or slip clutch will then protect the tractor.
I run an inexpensive Howse 6' rotary cutter. Most of my mowing is pasture. But I occasionally cut cedars up to 3' tall and saplings down by the creek as I am gradually clearing that area and sometimes run over chunks of log and such washed up out of the creek. Haven't lost a sheer bolt yet.

/ HP needed for mowing #23  
<font color=blue>I just hope the computerized tractors thing is not an indication that tractors are heading in the same direction.</font color=blue>

Maybe that wouldn't be all bad. You could go to the swap meet and buy a 1998 Kubota for $500. Of course, it would be much too slow and underpowered to run today's implements, but if it came with them you'd be in good shape./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ HP needed for mowing #24  
Horsejockey,
Yeah it would be a good deal if you could buy the fried computer module to get it going again. Why do you think you could get it for 500.00 in the first place. I am thinking that 20 years from now a tractor with computer control may be mechanically sound, but you may not be able to get the electronics to keep it going. Metal parts can be machined, its a bit harder to fabricate a computer control box.

/ HP needed for mowing #25  
Chris,

I actually thought of lots of "issues" that would arise. Perhaps we should start a thread "If Microsoft built tractors...."

Actually, I don't really want to bash MS too much. Almost 20 years ago, I bought MSDOS on a 5 1/4" floppy for $99 on my first PC. I paid $90 to upgrade my last system to WIN XP. Even if I bought a new copy of XP it would've been under $200. Even neglecting inflation, the new OS is a steal!

Of course...if someone else wants to start the thread, I just might contribute. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

~Rick

/ HP needed for mowing #26  
Rick,
Having made my living for the last 20 years using MSFT related products I can't complain too much.

The joke as I see it is that DOS came on a single floppy disk.
Plus it had a second floppy with some utils and add-ons like basic.

We're getting to the point that operating systems for desktops barely fin on a 650 meg CD. A little bloatware issue.

Enough computer crap... The only other computer issue I have is that I cleaned out my office at home one weekend because I ordered a 15yd dumpster for clean up projects.

I filled the bucket on my 2910 three times with old computers and parts....

I'd rather spend time onthe tractor....

Maybe I should have run over one of those old computers with my 5' rotary cutter.... Now that would have felt good....

A little revenge for the 20 years of agrevation isn't a bad thing.

Regards,
Chris

/ HP needed for mowing #27  
Hey Chris:Welcome to TBN. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I see you came on board a couple of days ago and your profile shows that we play with the same Kubota /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif ,almost. Certainly, there is room enough in the "quiet corner" ....for us both. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif RayBee

/ HP needed for mowing #28  
I use a NH 1920 about 33 engine hp and about 29-30 pto hp, I pull a 5' king kutter rotary cutter.

I've found that tall thick grass makes me mow in oh 2nd range, 2nd gear, but when cutting tall weeds brush and saplings, I can easilly do 3rd range, 1st gear, and the occasional sappling isn't even felt.

They probably said 40 hp, because many of these lighter cutters KK, NH 591 series, and TSC brand generally use a 40hp gear box. The big bushhog ( squealer? ) uses something beefier, like an 80 or 85 hp gear box.

Soundguy

/ HP needed for mowing #29  
I have a Land Pride 5 foot rotary mower behind my L3010. I also keep a bag of shear pins behind my seat. It's not the 2' saplings that shuts me down, it's the gopher mounds!
I have never had any problem going through anything with my 5 foot rotary mower on the Kubota. I hope not to go thru the garage door, but that will be another story I hope not to write about!

/ HP needed for mowing #30  
It's not the 2' saplings that shuts me down

That must really be a strong cutter /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif