Mowing HP needed for mowing

/ HP needed for mowing #1  

oldcrusty

How much PTO HP would be need to do some tractor mowing with a 5-6 foot rear cutter. I was looking at the 22-25 range in new Greens and Orange. However after talking to people who mow as a job they said I need at least 40 HP for the rear PTO. I will probably do this part time but want to be able to handle high grass and small (<1-2 inch) trees on occasion. Any of you guys have much experience you can pass along. If you have any specific brand/model please include that as well. The 2 I'm looking at now are the Orange L3130 or the Green 4210.

Thanks!!

/ HP needed for mowing #2  
there is a heck of a difference between high grass and 2 in trees. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif but if it was me i might be inclined to go with the larger machine, but be aware that if weight and physical size are a concern then u need to rethink your options. ther is no such thing as the perfect tractor, if there was i would design it and be richer than BILL GATES/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ HP needed for mowing #3  
I have a 4200 with HST and maybe one HP less than the 4210. If you're just finish mowing grass you should be able to get by with that machine and a 6' finish mower. I'd definitely suggest nothing bigger than a 5' rotary cutter for rough cutting work. Two inch saplings will definitely cause you to slow down dramatically to get through with a 4210. A lot will depend on your use (personal or commercial). If you're just mowing your own property a smaller machine like mine will probably be fine for you. If you're going to do this as a potential profit center you're going to want to get finished quicker and a larger machine will be better for you.

I know it's easy for me to spend your money /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif, but I can tell you that I've never wished for a smaller tractor with less power, but...

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ HP needed for mowing #5  
I have a 5300 JD with a 256 Bush hog "6'". I do a lot of heavy mowing and I will tell you that mowing brush and saplings take much less hp than heavy grass. The type of grass here can get up over 6' tall and very thick. It takes every horse that girl can muster to pull a full cut in heavy grass. At times I'm down to low range and second gear on level ground.
If you are going to do any heavy mowing I would HIGHLY recommend that you take your brand new mower and reinforce the sides and deck. I have 3/8 plate in the sides and 3/16 under the deck all around. It has a few bumps and bruises, but would be a total loss without the armor.
I also went to a 2 disc slipcutch on the mower driveshaft, seems to last a lot longer.

/ HP needed for mowing #6  
I will second what rdbrumfield said. I run a 6' rotary cutter behind my JD 950 (27 PTO hp). It will handle it pretty well. I can coast thru short dry grass or weeds 3' to 4' tall, but when I get into tall and/or heavy green coastal or Johnson grass, then I have to slow down quite a bit. Small trees and saplings are no problem other than the clanging and banging.

/ HP needed for mowing #7  
oldcrusty
You say that you are looking at a Kubota L3130. There is a difference of 1 1/2 hp at the PTO between the DT, GST and the HST transmissions. If you are mowing 1" diameter or less material, two good choices would be the Rhino SE or the Bush Hog SQ series mowers. You could go with the SE6 or the SQ720 (6 ft mowers) on the DT and GST transmissions but would be borderline on the hp requirement with the HST trans. 2" material would require the Rhino TW or Bush Hog 280 series mowers and then you would need to stay with the 5 ft. mowers (the TW60 or Bush Hog 285). Hope this helps.
Lewis

/ HP needed for mowing #8  
Frank,

Richer than Bill Gates? I don't think so.

Let's see...if you designed it like MS products...

It would need an extra heavy ROPS 'cause it would crash once a day....

Users would have to get upgrades frequently...

With every upgrade, we'd probably also have to change the blend of MSDiesel (or would that be f15Diesel?)

If it was deemed necessary for a major upgrade, we'd have to buy all new implements to take advantage of the new upgrades. (Hmmmm....if we had to buy f15Implements, then maybe, just maybe you could be richer than BG.)

Oh...and the key position would be labelled "Start" to start the tractor and "Start" to shut it down.

O.K. enough fun. Actually, since I've upgraded to Windows XP, I really can't complain. Can't say the same about previous products, but I think they got it mostly right with XP.

~Rick

/ HP needed for mowing #9  
Yeah Rick, XP is pretty good, but soon a new version will come out and new software and hardware will no longer work with XP, so you will have to upgrade hardware and software again. It never ends, so that Billy boy's money keeps coming in. The US computer industry depends on obsolence to keep them going.

I just hope the computerized tractors thing is not an indication that tractors are heading in the same direction.

/ HP needed for mowing #10  
<font color=blue>I just hope the computerized tractors thing is not an indication that tractors are heading in the same direction.</font color=blue>

If they are, just pray that MS doesn't write the code! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif