How much compressor for a grease gun

/ How much compressor for a grease gun #1  

petrops

Tractor
Kubota L35
I am just getting my first tractor (TLB) and now the real fun begins as I realize all the stuff that is needed to maintain it. One item, an air powered grease gun, poses a bit of a problem as we have no electricity on the property where the tractor will be stored and used. We have a generator so I could crank it up if need be, but I would like to keep thhings as simple as possible, so if we can get away without using the generator that would be great. I have seen some 12v tankless compressors that seem like they would be quite handy. Will one of these (40 LPM 100 PSI) do the job? Are there other reasons to go with a larger capacity compressor?

Thanks

/ How much compressor for a grease gun #2  
Why do you need an air powered grease gun for the tractor?
I've greased tractors for 50 years with a simple hand powered grease gun just fine.
OF COURSE, YOU COULD EASILY CONNECT UP THAT AIR OPERATED GREASER TO THE EIR SUPLY ON THE SERVICE TRUCK YOU'LL NEED TO HAUL FUEL, OIL & GREASE, AS WELL AS WASTE OIL REMOVAL SYSTEM.

/ How much compressor for a grease gun #3  
<font color=blue>...I've greased tractors for 50 years with a simple hand powered grease gun just fine...</font color=blue>

Franz... you just ruined his chances for a new air compressor... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ How much compressor for a grease gun #4  
I can't say for sure, but I doubt that a tankless compressor will work (be sure to let us know whether it works if you try it). Pneumatic grease guns use very little air, but it's in short bursts of air and I think the tankless 12v ones just slowly pump up to their maximum pressure. And while I certainly do like the pneumatic guns, like most folks, I've used the manual ones at least as much as the pneumatic. Of course, another thing you might consider instead of a pneumatic gun is to get one of the battery powered electric grease guns; rather expensive in my opinion, but I know quite a few mechanics who do on site work like them.

/ How much compressor for a grease gun #6  
Unless you had other uses for the air compressor (you will, once you get one), I would forgo that purchase right now.

I have 3 grease guns: a small (uses small cartridges) single-hand pump, a large (uses full size 14? oz. cartridges) and an air operated one.

If I'm doing a routine maintenance greasing like all the fittings on the loader, backhoe and tractor, then I'll usually use the air power grease gun. I like this one 'cause I can hold and operate the gun with one hand and keep the flexible hose firmly attached to the zerk fitting with the other.

If I just want to give a shot of grease to a single fitting or two, I'll usually use the small gun. This has a rigid pipe, but the gun is small enough to get into most spaces. However, the small cartridges are more expensive, so this isn't as cost effective IF you are going to do a lot of greasing.

The problem I have with the larger hand-held gun is that it takes 2 hands to hold and pump, and with a flexible tip, the end sometimes slips off the zerk and makes a bit of a mess. If I put the rigid pipe tip on it, it's not so bad, but there are sometimes clearance issues with some fittings and I can't get the gun in a good position to seat the end over the fitting.

Oh, and I know I could change tips on the guns, but it's easier to just grab the gun with the right tip already on it.

If I had just one gun, I don't think I'd want it to be air operated, 'cause then you're dependent upon the air supply everytime you grease. For me, it's not always as convenient.

The battery operated greasers look real nice, but I have to agree with Bird, they seem to be over-priced. If they were $40 - $50, it might be worth it, but I think they're in the $160-$200 price range. And again, you're dependent upon an additional power source (a battery) to do your greasing. I'd still want a manual one for back-up.

Oh, and no mattter what type of gun you get, I recommend that you wipe the zerk fittings clean BEFORE greasing and AFTER greasing.

If you decide to get an air compressor, get one that can operate real air tools, such as an impact wrench, sand blaster, etc. It probably won't cost that much more and you'll then you'll find lots of uses for it.

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ How much compressor for a grease gun #8  
I have an old 1 handed grease gun (std cartridges) with a flex hose on it. I recommend this setup, you can squeeze the gun with one hand and hold the fitting on with the other.

Of course if want to justify the compressor purchase. A 1/2 inch impact air wrench is great for changing rotary cutter blades and such.

/ How much compressor for a grease gun #9  
Ahhhh..that's neat. Mine is the type that has a long lever along the cylindrical body. It's pretty awkward to use with one hand. You need one hand to hold the cylinder and another to operate the lever. The lever gives a lot of "mechanical advantage" so it pumps easy. But I find it inconvenient to use unless I can rest the body of the gun on the ground, pump with one hand and hold the flex tube on the fitting with the other.

Looks like I might soon be the owner of 4 grease guns. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks for the link.

~Rick

/ How much compressor for a grease gun #10  
I had a small air compressor and bought a 1/2" air impact. Of course I 'had' to get a larger compressor ;) I bought a Porter Cable 7HP with a 60 gallon tank. I got it at Lowe's for $379. Then there was the new air hose...hose reel...air cut-off tool...impact sockets...

Billy