Tractor "almost" running hot

/ Tractor "almost" running hot #1  

belah

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M4030SU 1992
Hello friends on TBN. I have a question. I have a 1992 Kubota M4030SU that has never caused me any problems until this year. while bush hogging with a 6ft Woods cutter, the temp guage goes "almost" to Hot after about 11/2 hours of cutting. It never gets all the way to hot and never boils over even if I use it all day. I have flushed the radiator and replaced with new coolant. I have cleaned the radiator fins with a water sprayer and I have checked the air filter which was OK. I have changed oil and filter.

I have noticed whenever it gets near the hot zone on the guage, the engine idles rough. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but it idles normally whenever the engine is cool.

Does anyone out there know what is causing my problem? Would you please give me some advice? Thank You in Advance !!!!!:confused:

/ Tractor "almost" running hot #2  
Have you replaced your thermostat?

/ Tractor "almost" running hot #3  
   / Tractor "almost" running hot
Thank You so much for your replies. I had thought about maybe the thermostat might no be opening all the way due to rust or other gunk but I didn't know if this was something that might happen. I am definately going to check the thermostat. What do you think is making it idle rough when it's hot?? Thanks again!!!!:thumbsup:

/ Tractor "almost" running hot #5  
I have pretty much exhausted my mechanical knowledge on diesels, maybe Roy, Spyderlik, Leonz or one of the more mechanically inclined can help you out, about now is when I would be calling the service truck if the thermostat didn't do it.

/ Tractor "almost" running hot #6  
ok youve washed your rad off an flushed it out,an you still have the prob.have you cleaned/changed your air filter.it really sounds like you need a new thermastat.

/ Tractor "almost" running hot #7  
That rough running might be due to the engine running hot, or might be something else.
However, try one fix at a time (if feasible)...so, let's see what the thermostat does.
BTW, can't say I've ever had this with a tractor, but in a car or truck, when coolant hoses get tired, they can collapse (restricting flow). It takes educated finger, but squeeze your coolant hoses (when the engine is NOT running!!). I don't think you should be able to squeeze them much.

Just as a reminder, do not shut down a hot engine. Let it run at idle for a few minutes.

I have pretty much exhausted my mechanical knowledge on diesels, maybe Roy, Spyderlik, Leonz or one of the more mechanically inclined can help you out, about now is when I would be calling the service truck if the thermostat didn't do it.

I dunno about Spyder or Leonz, but I'm not too mechanically inclined...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night (wife locked me out when I came home sh*tfaced)

/ Tractor "almost" running hot #8  
While you are looking. With the engine cool drain down enough coolant to see if your radiator passages are clean i have had this issue with a radiator that is plugging off on the inside. I have had luck with the prestone superflush. It could be the water pump not working as well. With the engine cool and the cap off run the engine and let it warm up till the thermostat opens then see if you have good circulation. :thumbsup:

/ Tractor "almost" running hot #9  
Hello friends on TBN. I have a question. I have a 1992 Kubota M4030SU that has never caused me any problems until this year. while bush hogging with a 6ft Woods cutter, the temp guage goes "almost" to Hot after about 11/2 hours of cutting. It never gets all the way to hot and never boils over even if I use it all day. I have flushed the radiator and replaced with new coolant. I have cleaned the radiator fins with a water sprayer and I have checked the air filter which was OK. I have changed oil and filter.

I have noticed whenever it gets near the hot zone on the guage, the engine idles rough. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but it idles normally whenever the engine is cool.

Does anyone out there know what is causing my problem? Would you please give me some advice? Thank You in Advance !!!!!:confused:

Here's some possibilities:

loose fan belt, stuck or malfunctioning thermostat, clogged air filter, clogged air side of radiator, faulty temperature gauge, lower hose collapsing at high rpm,clogged coolant side of radiator, leaking fuel injectors.

I've put them in the order of what I believe is decreasing probability.

/ Tractor "almost" running hot #10  
my old JD did that to me...turned out the fins in the radiator were packed with crap. I blew out everrthing with the air gun...problem solved.

just looking at it didnt help. i had to remove front grill and look straight into the radiator. it was packed