Oil & Fuel Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start

/ Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start #1  

lisa17

Tractor
Kubota L2800
Had a broken fuel filter housing for my Kubota L2800, replaced the housing assembly, hooked up the three hoses with clamps, all seemed fine until tried to start. Engine turns over but won't start.

Filled tank half full of fuel...still won't start.

Any ideas?

/ Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start #2  
You may need to bleed the system; should be in your manual.

/ Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start #3  
Make certain the filter was full to the top, and use your bleeder screw on the fuel injector pump...Jy.

/ Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start #4  
There is a round 1/2"-ish knob that you have to open (bleed) to remove the air (same side as filter, up about a foot and to the left a few inches - IF I remember correctly). If you don't have a manual, I can take a picture of mine for ya... Let us know how it goes.

Oh, ...and Welcome to TBN!!!

PS. I had trouble since I didn't know that there were 2 rubber "O" rings. My filter leaked until I found the little small one.:ashamed:

/ Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start #5  
Had a broken fuel filter housing for my Kubota L2800, replaced the housing assembly, hooked up the three hoses with clamps, all seemed fine until tried to start. Engine turns over but won't start.

Filled tank half full of fuel...still won't start.

Any ideas?

I'll second what the other poster said. After a filter removal, the general rule is you will have to bleed the fuel system.

The general instructions are, you open the tank valve and bleed the fuel filter canister through the bleed screw at the top. When you have fuel without bubbles coming out of the bleed screw, close the screw. make sure all the fuel system connections are tight.

Then, if you have a bleed screw on the pump, bleed that til clear fuel and no bubbles come out.
Finally, slightly unscrew the fuel line to the first injector so it can leak and crank the engine til you have fuel come out there. When it does, tighten it back up., Repeat on the other injectors. The engine will usuaully start before the last injector is bled.

Read your owners manual for directions that are specific to your model of tractor and fuel system design. Make sure the battery is well charged so you can crank the engine when you bleed the injectors.

Last edited:
   / Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start #6  
this may sound simple but, I did this myself. When I changed the filter I first turned off the fuel supply at the tank (a 90 dec throw cock on my machine) Then changed the filter (I first filled the filter with fuel to avoid air locks). When I tryed to start it was a no show, I figured that there was air in the line so I started pumping the primmer and releaseing the preasure (on the fuel filter side of the injector body is a small pump and on the other side is a ring attatched to a bleeder valve). Pump the pump and crack the valve is there any air bubbles or is it streight fuel? If there are air bubbles repeat the pump and bleed till there is no air. It should start UNLESS and here is the funny part you forgot to open the fuel supply cock:laughing:. That was the dumb mistake I made:confused:

/ Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start
Opened the valve, Bled the line and cranked the engine forever and ever. Finally, it started. Thank you all.

/ Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start #8  
Opened the valve, Bled the line and cranked the engine forever and ever. Finally, it started. Thank you all.

Good. Next time, try cranking the engine with the bleeder open until it is spitting fuel out. Then close the bleeder and start the engine. That's how it works on my NH TC40 anyways. Sometimes I have to bleed it when changing the fuel filter and sometimes I don't. And I have never figured out why. :laughing:
Dave.

/ Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start #9  
Thanks for letting us know how it turned out :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So how did you Break the housing in the first place :)

/ Changed Fuel Filter housing, won't start
Well....I think I snagged a sapling, which disengaged the hose and broke the mail fitting...... before the bush-hog the sapling.

Only a guess, but probably the case.