Mowing Mowing Roadside Ditch?

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #1  

blount2000

Tractor
1949? Ford 8n
I recently relocated out in the country to a 10 acre piece of property. About 7 acres is flat pasture/fields and the other 3 acres is woods. I'm a new tractor owner (I'm new, not the tractor!), and I mow the pastures using a Ford 8n with a 5' bush-hog. Since everything I mow is flat, I haven't had any instances where I felt real nervous or anything.

However, last week I made a partial pass to cut along the ditch at the road (between my fence-line & where the county mows the roadside) and I did not like the feeling of it at all. The ditch is relatively smooth and is not super steep or anything, but the sensation of mowing "unlevel" kinda spooked me, so I elected to not mow the rest of the ditch.

I'm wondering if I was just being too cautious (i.e. scared), or is the "unlevel" sensation normal and is just something that people get used to the more they use a tractor?

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #2  
Without actually seeing the slope, no one can say for sure. A person does grow accustomed to hills with experience. Some people are scared to even drive down my driveway, where as I don’t even thing twice about it. But, there does come a point where it can become dangerous. I’m GUESSING you didn’t reach that point, you were just uncomfortable because it was new to you. But again, that’s just a guess.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch?
Thanks for the response. Below is a pic of the ditch. The county cuts the left side of the ditch (by the road), and you can see where I made one pass on the right side of the ditch. You can also see where I need to make another pass or two up to the fence line.

Maybe it just feels steeper than it really is.

Attachments

• ditch1.jpg
    ditch1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,646
   / Mowing Roadside Ditch? #4  
From the picture, it doesn't look all that steep. I assume your 8N has no ROPS or seat belt, that takes away from your safety.

If you go at it again, just remember to turn downhill if you think it is feeling tippy.

Better safe than busted up.
Dave.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #5  
If you have a string level or a piece of lumber and a level, measure the rise over run and someone will be able to calculate the angle and possibly give you a more concrete answer as to the safety of that slope. Pictures are sometimes worth a 1000 words and we like them but in this case an angle number may be better.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #6  
Wheel weights or loaded rear tires does wonders for hillside stability. I mow my very hilly back yard with a Ford 1600, which is very close in size to a 8N. There is still scary moments, but I feel much better with the wheel weights.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #7  
The 8N is about the best there is for slopes. I'd take it on that slope in the pic no problem. Still follow your seat instincts. Keep some 3 ph lift on the deck to take advantage of the mower weight and you will be fine. And the "turn downhill" is good to keep in mind. Using the individual brakes at the right time for traction works as the uphill wheel will slip/spin if there is too much tilt. Just if you have to use the uphill brake to stop a wheel, it is time to turn downhill (and it can be done) on the slope. If you keep traction, you don't have to worry about tipping over.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #8  
From your pic, and assuming the angle doesn't appreciably steepen anymore than that, then I'd be fine with it.

I've done a lot of shredding on the 8n or NAA over the years and more often when cutting on a slope I've experienced a sensation of lateral, downhill slippage more than a concern about reaching a point at which the tractor might tip over.

My rule of thumb is that, when on a slope or angle, the point at which I don't feel I can control the tractor completely is the moment I know I'm working on something too steep or angled. With that said, as stated above everyone's internal danger meter is a little different so if you're not kosher with it then maybe it's not a good idea to force it.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #9  
I recently relocated out in the country to a 10 acre piece of property. About 7 acres is flat pasture/fields and the other 3 acres is woods. I'm a new tractor owner (I'm new, not the tractor!), and I mow the pastures using a Ford 8n with a 5' bush-hog. Since everything I mow is flat, I haven't had any instances where I felt real nervous or anything.

However, last week I made a partial pass to cut along the ditch at the road (between my fence-line & where the county mows the roadside) and I did not like the feeling of it at all. The ditch is relatively smooth and is not super steep or anything, but the sensation of mowing "unlevel" kinda spooked me, so I elected to not mow the rest of the ditch.

I'm wondering if I was just being too cautious (i.e. scared), or is the "unlevel" sensation normal and is just something that people get used to the more they use a tractor?
Stay on the safe side and let the county maintaine their own ditch!

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #10  
back the mower deck down the hill keeping the tractor on flat part - move over each pass until its done - i do this in a spot i have and it does not take that long - as you would think - i use a 60in brush deck