Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3510H, Simplicity SunStar

Default Re: Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT

Typically from the left, sometimes from the right, almost never Indian style. Tried it once and hit my head on the ROPS
    Hast weh getan, hast gut getan

Tractor
    2008 Kubota M7040 4WD w/loader, 19?? Mitsubishi D2600 4WD w/loader

On the orange tractor always for the left because there is no step on the right side and the platform is ~3' above the ground. (The loader valve is mounted under the platform on the right, otherwise I would have made a step for there by now.)

On the blue tractor either side. Moreoften the left cause it is easier but if I am on the right side I don't walk around to get on.

Ed
    The orange tractor - M7040HD, 70hp, Loader, Pallet Forks, and Bale spear
    The blue tractor - D2600 4WD, 30hp, Loader, 3-point bale spear, 5' brush hog, 6' back blade, and post hole digger with 12" auger

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by polo1665 View Post
    Typically from the left, sometimes from the right, almost never Indian style. Tried it once and hit my head on the ROPS
    You beat me too it, I could handle the ROPS, but not the rear glass.

I mostly mount from the left, but prior to FEL tractors whichever side was closest.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    JD 2320

Most people will mount a tractor, horse, or motorcycle from the left side in North America for two main reasons.
    One, most people are right handed and naturally lift their right leg first when climbing a ladder or stairs.
    Two, North American cars are driven by entering the drivers seat from the left side of the vehicle.

Motorcycles lean to the left on a kickstand, making easier access from left side, tractors usually have more room on the left side floorboard, loader control, instrument clusters, cupholders, etc.

Some cabbed equipment only have a door access on the left side for this reason.

Is it possible to mount from the right, sure, but usually not practical and doesn't feel natural to most.

Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

From the left - "like with a horse" - 'cause that's how the fella that sold it to me said was the right and proper way. The one time I tried from the right I got my 14AAs all tangled up between the pedals and the FEL stick and almost fell off backwards. So I says to myself "I can read between the lines. You don't have to tell me every thing twice. That dealer knew something about tractors and horses".

Quote Originally Posted by jbooth View Post
    Durn! When I was a younster my cowboy buddies always made fun of me for not knowing which side of a horse to mount. Most of the horses I was allowed to ride were to old and slow to care anyway. Now I find out there is a right and wrong on a tractor. Now I'll have to look to see if anyone is watching when I get on a tractor. I just always went for the easiest and closest.
    I have discovered that, as I get older, all the horses seem to get younger and more high spirited.

-Jim
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

For people who have lawn mowers with a side discharge, which side does it discharge on? Right or Left?

Wedge
    1967 Ford 4000, Box blade, straight blade, FEL, Rake, Bushhog, Backhoe, Jinma chipper, KKII tiller, Grapple.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

Whichever side suits the occasion. Left is a little easier becasue of the step, but the L3400 isn't so tall I can't get up easily from the right side.

I deliberately cut 5 inches off the loader joystick so I could get on and off easily from the right side.

I don't like only one escape route, either.

Sean

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 2320

Left mostly . Right sometimes ( loader joy stick on right ) simply because I am a small dude, and I can when needed .
    There are old sailors and there are bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    B2320, 48 " Woods Brushbull, LA304 loader, modified Kingkutter carryall, Middle Buster

Tractor
    John Deere 770

Left Right Left Right Left Right Left Right....You know the drill.

I load up from the Left.

When I load from the right I have to bend my shin bone in half, therefore, I don't.
    JD770 '92 4x4 SMC FEL JD Ballast Box 6' CountyLine Back Blade 6' CountyLine Rake CountyLine CarryAll
    64" Frontier Snowblower

Favorite Color....Green

The sky was yellow and the sun was blue.

Tractor
    Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277

If I am walking up behind the tractor I always mount from the left...if I am walking towards the front of the tractor I always mount from the right
    I suffer from MPD...Multiple Project Disorder

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast