Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #31  
Young Fellar's again. Used to be one climbed on from the back and much of the time was spent standing while running the tractor.:thumbsup:

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #32  
Young Fellar's again. Used to be one climbed on from the back and much of the time was spent standing while running the tractor.:thumbsup:

Yep, pretty much how I grew up driving a tractor, flip the steel seat back and stand up about half the time and for sure if you were going very fast.

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #33  
Normally from the left but often from the right if it is easier or more convenient. The flat deck and step on each side was fairly high on the desirable features for a new tractor.

Much of my work is in the bush and often only one side is handy because of the trees.

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #34  
There was a concern on another thread expressed about blocking the mounting access from the right side and I was just wondering. :confused:

Which side do you mount your tractor from? Do you ever mount from the right side? If so When and Why? :cool:

I regularly mount my tractor from the right side. I don't know why - I just end up there - i seems more often than on the left. Once on that side, it's WAY to far to walk around, so I just jump on from the right side. Of course, almost every time I climb on board, I get hung up on, or poked in the 'nads by the loader control lever. Then I cuss.

JayC

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #36  
For people who have lawn mowers with a side discharge, which side does it discharge on? Right or Left?

Wedge

I've got two, one discharges on the left, the other on the right. I never could get used to that.

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #37  

Same here! And if you did get on from the front, it was on the left (belt pulley was on the right). ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• TRACTOR SHOWS 2006 081 (Small).jpg
    TRACTOR SHOWS 2006 081 (Small).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 87
   / Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #38  
well, next time i climb thru the right hand side door, ill go in backwards. That way il be entering the left side...in a round about fashion.

Makes me wonder if the British enter on the wrong side like they drive :laughing: :laughing: :D

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #40  
"Young Fellar's again. Used to be one climbed on from the back and much of the time was spent standing while running the tractor..."

I was thinking the same thing reading through the thread. Spent many a year mounting the tractor from behind however, ironically, all were set up so as to climb up on the left side and sit on the right side. This set-up was so that the driver could keep an eye on the furrow as the implements of the time were all set up the same way. The one-way disc was a left leaning implement where the furrow wheel was on the right side and the disc axle trailed to the left. The pull-type combine was more often a right-leaning tool with the header immediately behind and to the right of the tractor driver. In both cases having the driver on the right side was the best place for them.

On more modern tractors, I don't really know the reason, but left-handed entrance has generally been the most common. I will get off the 8n in either direction, but, I always get back on from the left hand side. Lots of early cab tractors (MF, Case, J.D.) were designed with doors only on the left side. Prior to that J.D. built a lot of 30- and 40-series tractors with steps only on the left hand side. Most older dozers were simply easier to ingress/egress from the left side simply due to lever arrangement. J.D. and Dresser IH built cabbed dozers in the 1970/80s with doors only on the left side.

It could be the practice of mounting a horse from the natural left, which then got translated into the left-handed steering of modern North American vehicles, that simply translated over to the tractor out of habit. Don't know.

Darned good TBN conversational piece, however........