Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #41  
Classic mount is left side (NH Utility anyway)... withthe step
I mount right side if I need to, if I am on on the right side...
Not classic, but if you are tall young and nimble ,... no problem

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #42  
Almost always from the left. It just doesn't feel "right" getting on from the right to me. I guess after nearly 50 years of getting on and off from the left side is a hard habit to break. Most of our big tractors/all the combines have the steps or cab doors on the left.

As I recall, we were taught to get on a horse from the left, supposedly to keep the saddle from slipping which could occur if you put all your weight on the right stirrup when mounting the horse. Do you suppose that had anything to do with the steps often only being on the left on many tractors, and many implements (older balers, plows, pull combines) being offset to the right side?

GGB

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #43  
We occasionally get on our horses from the right side, which gets them used to different things. We get some odd looks from the horses, as if to say "Um, I think you're on the wrong side.."

Sean

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT
We occasionally get on our horses from the right side, which gets them used to different things. We get some odd looks from the horses, as if to say "Um, I think you're on the wrong side.."

Sean

The reason we mount our horses from both side is we ride in the wilderness a lot and there sometimes you have to mount or dismount from the SAFE side and we don't want our horse freaking out with a 1000' drop off on one side! :shocked: We know that is a real possibility so we train for it. I get a lot more saddle time than I do :tractor: seat time every year :dance1:

I guess what we are finding out here on this thread is that Most of the drivers, Most of the time get on and off from the left side! But for safety, and maybe easy sometimes, we need to plan for getting off on the right side. You old timers, I mean more experienced drivers, :eek: have taught us that a back exit might also be an option! :laughing: When I go to the local thrashing bee I remember seeing that a lot!

Last edited:
   / Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #45  
There was a concern on another thread expressed about blocking the mounting access from the right side and I was just wondering. :confused:

Which side do you mount your tractor from? Do you ever mount from the right side? If so When and Why? :cool:

I drive my 2 tractors and operate 3 more, 2 different fork trucks, also some heavy machinery and cranes! Mount them all from the right side! When I was shopping for me last tractor I can't remember seeing a step on the right side of any! :)

PS. I mount a bob-cat from the front! :laughing: and my horses from both sides! :D

Thanks for your imput in advance.:thumbsup:
:tractor:

Horses cannot be mounted from BOTH sides ; from EITHER side is possible with SOME horses (-:

My tractors all have a step (or two) on EACH of their sides to aid entry/egress.
If on a side slope I probably get on/off at the higher side - it doesn't matter THAT MUCH.
If one is running and I happen to be on the right side I will often get on that side and lean on the joy stick to lift the bucket at the same time, maybe I "save" a few milliseconds in my Oh_so_busy life that way (-:
I am often on the right side for stationary tasks so I can operate the hydraulics.
I acknowledge that there is a foot pedal there for the engine speed (NOT a "throttle" pedal) and the joystick encroaches just a little bit.
Since I have gear transmissions there is no danger of me treading on a GO pedal and having the tractor take off in forward or reverse.
I generally leave the tractor on the left side, they are just a little more open, not that I have an extra WIDE and cumbersome body type (-:

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #46  
   / Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #48  
...I deliberately cut 5 inches off the loader joystick so I could get on and off easily from the right side.

I don't like only one escape route, either.

Sean

That's a great idea - shorten the stick. I will still get on from the left, but now I'll have 50% better odds if I ever have to bail from the high side in a hurry. Had to do it once unloading a rairoad boxcar full of precut 2x4s. Once the area behind the side doors was cleared out, we'd lift a little Hyster up off the ground & into the car with a big, Cat V120 fork lift. Then the Hyster would pull the strapped units out and feed them to the Cat, 2 at a time. One day it was raining, the wooden floor got wet & slippery. The rear steering wheels, running very light due to the weight of the 2x4s wouldn't grip & make the turn. With the steering locked, there wasn't enough hyraulic pressure for me to depress the clutch and get out of gear, so out I went - one wheel at a time. I remember scampering up, over the side and seeing the mast roll away from me. Exciting. Boy, did I catch it for that.

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #49  
on the kub i get on an off from left side.on the 7700 cab ford tractor we can mount from either side.

/ Mounting Tractor? RIGHT or LEFT #50  
Usually left, but with exceptions:

First, if I have attachments on the front and rear (say, carryall on the front and mower on the rear) it can be a LONG walk around the machine. So, I'll jump on from whichever side I'm on.

Second, if there is something demanding my attention on the right side, say, the beer cooler, I'll dismount/mount from that side.

If I have something suspended on/from the loader and want to be sure not to accidenatlly lower, I'll definitely get on/off from the left.

I have found that there are things sticking up that can catch my shorts, rip them and cause me to land flat on my face on both sides....