Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor?

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #1  

IndyIan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
Hi Folks,
I've got some land and some goats and the time has come for a Tractor. I'm thinking used in the $10K range. Probably 2000-3000 hours, broken in but not broken yet is OK for me as I'll probably do 100-150 hours a year.

Basic requirements is handling 4x5 bales on moderate slopes, the odd logging session, plowing a 1/4 mile driveway, some digging and driveway repair.

After I get the beast, can I estimate how much it will cost to maintain it? How long do tires last before they crack from age? Hydro lines?
Oil changes, fuel filters?

I'd do the regular maintenance and small repairs myself but anything major would be done by a mechanic.

It seems in my area, its the 80's east european tractors that fit my price range. I like that they are all metal but if anyone has some tips on what to look for, that would be great.
Thanks,
Ian

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #2  
Welcome to the forum.

Costs for fluids and filters will depend on what you get. Figure on 1 oil change per year which on the tractor your talking about will be 5-8 quarts of oil and a filter, probably in the $30 range. Fuel filter $8-$20. You will need to change the UTF for the hydraulics and drive line every now and then, could be 10-15 gallons, figure $100-$150, hydraulic filters are a bit pricey, $25-$75. Occassional anti freeze change and some tubes of grease should about round out the lubrication end.

Tires and hoses are very much dependent on how the unit has been and will be stored. Kept out of the sun and weather 20+ years is common. Let it sit in the sun all the time will cut that in half. Tires vary so much in size and type but if you had to put new rubber all the way around a 4x4 on the size machine your talkin, you can spend $800+ pretty fast. Many places can make hydraulic hoses, but they are not cheap. Depending on fittings and lengths, $25-$50 for a single hose is not uncommon.

Hope this helps.

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor?
Thanks for the reply, it sounds pretty reasonable, probably $200ish a year if you average things out.
I had a visit with the local New Holland dealer today and all they really had that might be suitable was a TC-35 with a FEL. 2001 but 300hrs for $18k, of course the sales guy gives all the horror stories of buying a higher hour utility tractor from a farmer.
Probably it would do everything I need but running even old small hay equipment isn't really an option with it on my moderate slopes, which I might do in the future.

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #4  
For the hours you will do hyd changes will only need doing a few times in the tractors life time unless it has problems !

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #5  
My advice is to buy the biggest tractor you think you will need the first time. It is easier to do little jobs with a bigger tractor than it is to do larger jobs with a smaller tractor.

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor?
My advice is to buy the biggest tractor you think you will need the first time. It is easier to do little jobs with a bigger tractor than it is to do larger jobs with a smaller tractor.

Yep, that what I think too. Just have to convince the wife. How much hp is needed for a 4x4 round baler? Or a small haybine?

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #7  
60-65 PTO HP should do the trick.

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #8  
. It is easier to do little jobs with a bigger tractor than it is to do larger jobs with a smaller tractor.

If you can fit in those areas that the little jobs are located.