Kubota ? Quality

/ Kubota ? Quality #1  

sw18x

Bronze Member
Tractor
Looking
I'm in the process of buying a Kubota SCUT, and been doing research for awhile now on various brands. Virtually everything I've seen/heard/read about points to the high quality of Kubota products - referencing several threads on this forum, even Deere owners tend to agree that quality wise, Deere and Kubota are among the top brands in terms of reliability, with individual preferences / loyalties determining who buys what. Then one of my in-laws hears that we're looking to buy a tractor and she passes the comment along that she hopes we're not buying a Kubota because (and I'm paraphrasing here, this was passed along second hand through my wife's mom) all of the farmers near her who own Kubotas are always borrowing their neighbors' John Deeres because the Kubotas are always breaking down. She lives a few states away, lives in a rural area, and owns a horse farm, so its probable that she's talking about B, L, or even M series owners (and she made it clear it's multiple farmers with problems). I'm more curious than concerned (unless someone feels I should be), because it seems to me that whether you're an orange fan or not, they've built up a pretty strong reputation of quality. Is their reputation weaker in the larger models (I haven't frequented the "big boys" forums so much as the SCUTS, so maybe I'm missing something), or has there been a recent problem with certain models that they haven't worked out yet? Or maybe her comments were blown out of proportion to the reality (farmer blows a headlight and needs to borrow a Deere to finish a row kind of thing). What do you think?

/ Kubota ? Quality #2  
My opinion..... her comments are not first hand experience but some sort of hand-me-down hearsay.

I believe you can trust this site and the Kubota forum comments... it's first person experience. I've been a member for several years...I know of no particular model or year Kubota which has anything other than a good reputation. Sure, there are occasional gliches, but believe these to be exceptionally rare.

My net... she's got you worried for absolutely no reason.

/ Kubota ? Quality #3  
I have never used any SCUTS, but I have had three Kubotas, one G, one B, and one Grand L. The best of the best. I only traded in the B model because it was not big enough to load my one ton dump. And I seldom had to buy any parts.

/ Kubota ? Quality #4  
I have owned a L3400 for over two years (Not a big tractor) with no problems at all. When I bought it I told the dealer what I wanted it for and he said the 3400 would handle the work I described. It has far surpassed my expectations. Also the quality is exactly what I expected!
A few of my friends have Grand L's and those machines are unbelievable! One more thing, when ever I visit my dealer as you pull into the lot there is a line of used tractors of all sizes that have been traded in and not one of them is a Kubota!

Good luck with your decision!

/ Kubota ? Quality #5  
A co-workers cousin has a friend whose neighbor's brother-in-law's uncle said his Grandpa told him that a Kubota would explode if parked to close to a Deere:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Having said that, some people can break a rock. There may be a grain of truth to her story. But you don't know what broke the Kubota, how old it is, maintenance, etc,etc,etc....

I wouldn't let that stop me from buying one. And mine has been flawless so far.

/ Kubota ? Quality #6  
There were, supposedly, some pretty major reliability problems whe Kubota entered the larger UT market. That's been 8-10 years ago or so.

/ Kubota ? Quality #7  
I have a BX2360 and feel the quality compared to any of the other subcompacts is at least as good if not better than any other. With MMM,loader and front mount snowblower it's the best tool I have. If there is a problem with the BX it's one of over use. It's a small tractor fit to maintain a residential property(mowing,snowblowing and light loader work). It's not a bulldozer or a tank to go into the rough and wild. If your needs are for those then any subcompact is not right for you. I also have a grand L that allows me to just use the BX for what it does best. When shopping for a subcut I think the Kubota BX has the best matched equipment made just for that tractor. That was what made my final choice easy.

/ Kubota ? Quality #8  
There is nothing wrong with a Kubota Scut, they have a very good reputation. I didn't get one because of the pedal arrangement.

The John Deere Scut I had issues with, IMHO aluminum transaxles don't belong on anything labeled as a farm tractor.

If you look at the Cub Cadet/Yanmar thread, you will find very few if any problems with those also. And some are saying that the 'double hydraulic pump' system is better.

I chose the Massey Scut because it fit better, and has the brake on the opposite side. And if you look at the Massey forum, you will find very few problems there also.

Hope all this helps.

/ Kubota ? Quality #9  
I have 2 and use 3 other Kubota痴, ranging in age from new to over 30 years old and have not had any major problems with any of them. Deer痴 are good tractors also but they are real proud of the color green. Every time we buy a new tractor we look at them all but for performance and price, we end up buying THE ORINGINAL ORANGE!:D