3-Point Hitch Replacing hitch pins with bolts

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #11  
A bit off topic, but here is the photo that you may be referring to.

The washer on the right has a black, heavy duty lynch pin. They are strong.
:thumbsup: Did you make those captive washers? If not please tell us were you acquired them.
Thanks,
larry

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #12  
:thumbsup: Did you make those captive washers? If not please tell us were you acquired them.
Thanks,
larry

Sorry to say - they are homemade. Here is another photo that shows the raw materials. The original Pat's can be modified as well.

Why Pat's doesn't make something similar is the question. Except that it would require more labor than just drilling a hole and bending a washer like they do.

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #13  
I lost two lynch pins this weekend. First one I thought, "hmmm, how did that happen?" Second one a couple of hours later reminded me that I'm a slow learner. Happened while cutting small trees with the brush cutter.

Now off to TS to buy the heavy duty pins and new adjustable sway arms (buckled from the torque).

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #14  
I have had this happen when brush hogging. Now I use safety wire to lash those lynch pins shut, just like E/S suggested. Works great and easy to undo.

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #15  
I have had this happen when brush hogging. Now I use safety wire to lash those lynch pins shut, just like E/S suggested. Works great and easy to undo.[/Q

That's what I do. Wire is cheap, and so am I.

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #17  
I noticed some of my lynch pins had weak closing force. After taking it apart I found the spring force was backward relative to the hole position on the pin. Rebending the spring seems to help.

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #18  
I mow miles of bumpy ground. My 72" grooming mower's wheels swivel on one inch vertical shafts and the mowing height is set with spacers on that shaft. At the top of the shaft are 1/4" lynchpins. I've started replacing them with stainless bolts and locknuts. Not only was I losing pins and spacers by twigs undoing the lynchpins, but there was 3/8" of up-and-down play that was hammering the pins until they broke. I drilled one inch holes in pieces of 3/8" plate and added them to the stacks of spacers to stop the pounding. That stopped the pins from breaking. I've lost too much time walking the fields looking for my lost spacers, and sometimes, a whole wheel assembly.

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #19  
I hate losing pins. Such a pain, especially when you are waaaay out in the woods. I keep spare top link and lower link pins and a selection of hitch pins and similarly sized bolts/nuts and a pair of large adj wrenches. Heck, I even have a spare lower pin that bolts into the attachment. Broke one of them before and dropped a tiller. Had to leave it to get the part. Really don't like leaving equipment out.

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #20  
:thumbsup:I haven't tried the bolts yet ,but switched all the regular lynch pins for the black heavy duty ones from Tractor Supply. So far I haven't had one of these to get pulled out by sticks yet.:D Just don't get any skin caught when closing them.:confused2:

Those lynch pins are great...and I'll re-iterate...watch your fingers!! These things are like a freakin' bear trap when they snap shut!!