Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Default Replacing hitch pins with bolts

From a recent post, I was reminded of replacing my seldom-used hitch pins with bolts and lock nuts.
    I had a couple incidents when brush ripped the hitch pins loose and left the 3 ph arms dangling. I was fortunate to catch the problem before any damage was done (some have broken castings as a result of losing a pin).
    Because I seldom (if ever) would need to remove the 3 ph arms, I replaced the hitch pins (the ones shown in the attached pic) with bolts and lock nuts. Same with the pins that attach the iMatch, as I seldom take it off (but did rip off the hitch pins on occasion).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing hitch pins with bolts-hitch_pins-jpg  

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Default Re: Replacing hitch pins with bolts

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    From a recent post, I was reminded of replacing my seldom-used hitch pins with bolts and lock nuts.
    I had a couple incidents when brush ripped the hitch pins loose and left the 3 ph arms dangling. I was fortunate to catch the problem before any damage was done (some have broken castings as a result of losing a pin).
    Because I seldom (if ever) would need to remove the 3 ph arms, I replaced the hitch pins (the ones shown in the attached pic) with bolts and lock nuts. Same with the pins that attach the iMatch, as I seldom take it off (but did rip off the hitch pins on occasion).
    I think I should probably do the same,
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Cub Cadet-Yanmar ex450 -Ford 1300-Mahindra 2415

I haven't tried the bolts yet ,but switched all the regular lynch pins for the black heavy duty ones from Tractor Supply. So far I haven't had one of these to get pulled out by sticks yet. Just don't get any skin caught when closing them.

Tractor
    Which one?

I've only lost one hitch pin on my 855 and that was while using the box blade in an attempt to break up ice on the drive (sort of worked).

I don't have an i-match but do have a Pat's easy change system. Not sure if it's an idea I read here or came up with on my own but I plan to buy some heavy washers, weld some nuts to them and then use bolts and red loctite to secure them. I don't have enough of the fancy bent washers the Pat's system comes with so this would suffice and maybe not come off.
    I like to play in the dirt....
    Satoh Beaver w/Blackhawk loader & hoe.
    JD855 w/stuff.

Bronze Member

I find this interesting. I grew up on a farm. We used 3PH implements quite often, but I don't ever recall losing any pins. They were standard hitch pins with lynch pins to keep them in place. Why do y'all have these troubles? Just wondering.

Dave

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by techwrtr2 View Post
    I've only lost one hitch pin on my 855 and that was while using the box blade in an attempt to break up ice on the drive (sort of worked).

I don't have an i-match but do have a Pat's easy change system. Not sure if it's an idea I read here or came up with on my own but I plan to buy some heavy washers, weld some nuts to them and then use bolts and red loctite to secure them. I don't have enough of the fancy bent washers the Pat's system comes with so this would suffice and maybe not come off.
    Red is considered permanent. Heat must be used to get things loose. Just be careful where you use it.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by whateg0 View Post
    I find this interesting. I grew up on a farm. We used 3PH implements quite often, but I don't ever recall losing any pins. They were standard hitch pins with lynch pins to keep them in place. Why do y'all have these troubles? Just wondering.

Dave
    Dunno the 'why'. can only say that I've lost several.

Presumably due to sticks getting in there and unlocking them(I lost several working a brush pile).
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by whateg0 View Post

Dave
    Different kind of work probably. Back and forth over heavy brush is pretty effective at getting them off.
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab

I use HD lynch pins and safety wire some of them closed. I mow large areas of sage brush, 2' + tall, this can open a pin fast.
    If I were to use bolts I personally would use lock nuts on them.

E/S

2009 Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab
    LA1353 FEL w/ 7' Bucket & Pallet Forks
    McMillen X1475 Earth Auger w/ 9", 18" & 24" augers - Land Pride RCR3596 Rotary Cutter
    Gearmore 4G4 Series 7' Box Scraper w/ hydraulic rippers

Quote Originally Posted by techwrtr2 View Post
    A bit off topic, but here is the photo that you may be referring to.

The washer on the right has a black, heavy duty lynch pin. They are strong.

Just using a bolt through the two washers might work.

Using a nut instead of one of the washers would also work. It would seem to be a bit rigid. I'd use a nut on one side and a washer on the other if that was the choice.

If you weld the nut to the bolt's thread then it would be permanent - until the O/A torch is used.
    Last edited by gwdixon; 05-15-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: forgot photo
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast