3-Point Hitch Replacing hitch pins with bolts

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
From a recent post, I was reminded of replacing my seldom-used hitch pins with bolts and lock nuts.
I had a couple incidents when brush ripped the hitch pins loose and left the 3 ph arms dangling. I was fortunate to catch the problem before any damage was done (some have broken castings as a result of losing a pin).
Because I seldom (if ever) would need to remove the 3 ph arms, I replaced the hitch pins (the ones shown in the attached pic) with bolts and lock nuts. Same with the pins that attach the iMatch, as I seldom take it off (but did rip off the hitch pins on occasion).

Attachments

• Hitch_pins.jpg
    Hitch_pins.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 798
   / Replacing hitch pins with bolts #2  
From a recent post, I was reminded of replacing my seldom-used hitch pins with bolts and lock nuts.
I had a couple incidents when brush ripped the hitch pins loose and left the 3 ph arms dangling. I was fortunate to catch the problem before any damage was done (some have broken castings as a result of losing a pin).
Because I seldom (if ever) would need to remove the 3 ph arms, I replaced the hitch pins (the ones shown in the attached pic) with bolts and lock nuts. Same with the pins that attach the iMatch, as I seldom take it off (but did rip off the hitch pins on occasion).
I think I should probably do the same,
larry

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #3  
:thumbsup:I haven't tried the bolts yet ,but switched all the regular lynch pins for the black heavy duty ones from Tractor Supply. So far I haven't had one of these to get pulled out by sticks yet.:D Just don't get any skin caught when closing them.:confused2:

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #4  
I've only lost one hitch pin on my 855 and that was while using the box blade in an attempt to break up ice on the drive (sort of worked).

I don't have an i-match but do have a Pat's easy change system. Not sure if it's an idea I read here or came up with on my own but I plan to buy some heavy washers, weld some nuts to them and then use bolts and red loctite to secure them. I don't have enough of the fancy bent washers the Pat's system comes with so this would suffice and maybe not come off.

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #5  
I find this interesting. I grew up on a farm. We used 3PH implements quite often, but I don't ever recall losing any pins. They were standard hitch pins with lynch pins to keep them in place. Why do y'all have these troubles? Just wondering.

Dave

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #6  
I've only lost one hitch pin on my 855 and that was while using the box blade in an attempt to break up ice on the drive (sort of worked).

I don't have an i-match but do have a Pat's easy change system. Not sure if it's an idea I read here or came up with on my own but I plan to buy some heavy washers, weld some nuts to them and then use bolts and red loctite to secure them. I don't have enough of the fancy bent washers the Pat's system comes with so this would suffice and maybe not come off.
Red is considered permanent. Heat must be used to get things loose. Just be careful where you use it.

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #7  
I find this interesting. I grew up on a farm. We used 3PH implements quite often, but I don't ever recall losing any pins. They were standard hitch pins with lynch pins to keep them in place. Why do y'all have these troubles? Just wondering.

Dave
Dunno the 'why'. can only say that I've lost several.

Presumably due to sticks getting in there and unlocking them(I lost several working a brush pile).

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #8  

Dave
Different kind of work probably. Back and forth over heavy brush is pretty effective at getting them off.

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #9  
I use HD lynch pins and safety wire some of them closed. I mow large areas of sage brush, 2' + tall, this can open a pin fast.
If I were to use bolts I personally would use lock nuts on them.

E/S

/ Replacing hitch pins with bolts #10  

A bit off topic, but here is the photo that you may be referring to.

The washer on the right has a black, heavy duty lynch pin. They are strong.

Just using a bolt through the two washers might work.

Using a nut instead of one of the washers would also work. It would seem to be a bit rigid. I'd use a nut on one side and a washer on the other if that was the choice.

If you weld the nut to the bolt's thread then it would be permanent - until the O/A torch is used.

Last edited: