Wish I wouldn't of woken up today.

/ Wish I wouldn't of woken up today. #11  
I too have been around farming all my life. The cash rent farmers are paying today is enough to leave me sleepless. This year we rented our family farm out because my brother was no longer farming it. My Mother lives off the revenue. She was a little worried about what would happen since Kenny wasn't farming anymore. I told her she has no worries now because farmers are standing in line to rent it. Again, I greatly appreciate our farmers but I couldn't do it.

Cash rent sure is high. We give our renters a pretty good deal on cash rent as they are a really nice family who will do anything to help us and really take care of the land. They actually increased the rent on their own this year. It is a father son and grand sons operation and I just love to see a family farming operation. Their tractors are new and top notch, but their pickups are plain Jane models as are their cars and utility vehicles. They are just a nice bunch of people.

We too have people who contact us every once in a while to make sure they will be considered if our land ever comes open.

/ Wish I wouldn't of woken up today.
I understand what you guys are saying . But I wouldn't doing anything else in my life then farm its just what I love doing

/ Wish I wouldn't of woken up today. #13  
I understand what you guys are saying . But I wouldn't doing anything else in my life then farm its just what I love doing

Oh, I can understand that, just not everyone can pull it off. We have seen many farmers lose everything including their land.

The old saying, "If it was easy, anyone could do it" comes to mind.

/ Wish I wouldn't of woken up today. #14  

Yeah, don't for one second think TripleR and I are questioning what you are doing. We are very proud of you.

I asked an elderly farmer in my neighborhood once when he was going to retire. He's approaching 90 and still farming. He said "well, my definition of retirement would be to do what I love each and every day". I said yep that's my definition. He said "well then I'll farm until the day I die because I sure love it". :)

/ Wish I wouldn't of woken up today. #15  
Cash rent sure is high. We give our renters a pretty good deal on cash rent as they are a really nice family who will do anything to help us and really take care of the land. They actually increased the rent on their own this year. It is a father son and grand sons operation and I just love to see a family farming operation. Their tractors are new and top notch, but their pickups are plain Jane models as are their cars and utility vehicles. They are just a nice bunch of people.

We too have people who contact us every once in a while to make sure they will be considered if our land ever comes open.

You are in a similar situation as us. The farmers renting our land are a three generation operation. One of the largest farming operations in Missouri. They are approaching 40K acres of rowcrop. When they park their equipment for the day it looks like a John Deere dealership has moved in. I went to school with one of them. They would stop planting today and come to help you if you needed help. Great people. We told them they could pay the cash rent next Fall when the crop comes out. Totally trust them.

/ Wish I wouldn't of woken up today. #16  
You are in a similar situation as us. The farmers renting our land are a three generation operation. One of the largest farming operations in Missouri. They are approaching 40K acres of rowcrop. When they park their equipment for the day it looks like a John Deere dealership has moved in. I went to school with one of them. They would stop planting today and come to help you if you needed help. Great people. We told them they could pay the cash rent next Fall when the crop comes out. Totally trust them.

Now that's a big farming operation, we don't have anything that big in my area, maybe in New Madrid and Mississippi County, but I doubt it. Galen Lawrence started out in Missouri and now own the Lawrence Group in Florida, so he may own that much.

/ Wish I wouldn't of woken up today. #17  
My Dad made us help all the relatives with their farms when I was growing up. He worked in the factory and said he didn't want us to have to work farms or the factory, so we were going to college. Well, after 40 years of accounting and computers, we recently bought 40 acres and a tractor so I could get back to that "good life". I don't have to make a living at it, I just want to do it for fun. The hard work keeps you healthy and I'm having more fun than I've had in years. And now the grandsons get to come and "work" for Grandpa for a few weeks. I always regretted having to raise my kids in the city. They missed so much that you can only get by farming.

/ Wish I wouldn't of woken up today. #18  
My Dad made us help all the relatives with their farms when I was growing up. He worked in the factory and said he didn't want us to have to work farms or the factory, so we were going to college. Well, after 40 years of accounting and computers, we recently bought 40 acres and a tractor so I could get back to that "good life". I don't have to make a living at it, I just want to do it for fun. The hard work keeps you healthy and I'm having more fun than I've had in years. And now the grandsons get to come and "work" for Grandpa for a few weeks. I always regretted having to raise my kids in the city. They missed so much that you can only get by farming.

Similar situation here though I was still farming when my oldest was five or six. I finished my education and after a brief stint in the city, moved back close enough to our farms for weekends working in the woods and helping their grand father on his farms. I wanted them to learn and appreciate good, hard physical labor and its rewards.

We moved to the farm about 16 years ago after the kids were grown, but they still work on them and now our grand children are following in their foot steps; can't beat it.

/ Wish I wouldn't of woken up today. #19  
Farming for a living is great. It's the cost, dealing with labor, breakdowns, administration, and risk, to name a few, can be the things that give me the mullygrubs. I love my career the most when I can go to the field, get in the tractor, shut the door, turn off the phone, and make the dust boil for about 10 hours.

Never happens though.

/ Wish I wouldn't of woken up today.
That row crop farmer sounds pretty big lol

I can't wait till I purchase my farm :)