Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket

/ Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket #1  

sw18x

Bronze Member
Tractor
Looking
Hi all

As I've already posted elsewhere, I'm in the process of buying a BX2360 (wife conceded!). We have an outdoor woodburner and get chunks/logs dropped off occasionally from a tree service. A big selling point on the BX was having the ability to lift the heavier pieces onto the splitter, saving my back for better uses. Some of these pieces are big enough for one person to handle, just very heavy, some pieces take 2, a few are too heavy for even a couple guys (maybe 300 - 350 pounds, these pieces still need to be moved around the yard though they might not end up on the splitter itself). The dealer is welding two chain hooks on the outside of the bucket (he discouraged me from having the hooks put on the top). I've been trying to plan out how I can use the FEL most efficiently for this task. So far my ideas are:

- loop a chain from one hook to the other, with the slack hanging under the bucket. Get some mombo screw in hooks (similar to the kind that screw into walls for hanging stuff), predrill the biggest logs, screw in the hooks, and lift the logs from the hook using the chain.

- run the chains across the hooks, drop the bucket in front of the log, roll the log across the rest of the chain, bring the hook ends of the chains back up across the top of the log and fasten to the chain near the top of the bucket, thus cradling the log with the chain.

- buy a set of pallet forks, roll the logs onto the forks, curl the bucket so the log rests back on the bucket and lift.

Another consideration is using the FEL to lift chunks/logs onto the back of my pickup truck, in which case I don't think I have enough lift on the FEL to do it if the log is hanging below the bucket.

What do you think? How do you guys perform similar jobs? Looking for any feedback here (except "you bought the wrong tractor for this job!")

Thanks, these forums are great to read and lots of helpful info.

/ Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket #2  
Bolt some forks to the bucket. Also bolt some type of restraint device on the back of the bucket to keep them from sitting on your lap.:D

/ Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket #3  
I got QA pallet forks and tried them out this last weekend. THey work great for logs! :thumbsup:

/ Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket #4  
First, don't forget you'll need rear ballast of some sort!!

I like the forks idea too (and definitely heed Egon's advice about
some type of restraint device on the back of the bucket to keep them from sitting on your lap
Might save you and might save the hood of your BX2360.

As far as how to hold the logs...you might want to consider using straps rather then chain...bit easier to work with for lighter loads.

/ Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket #5  
Perhaps cutting them into smaller pieces would work.

/ Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket #6  
When I bought my tractor, I never thought I'd use forks so I didn't get the quick attach. I do have chain hooks which I use. I soon bought a set of clamp on forks which I now use enough so that I wish I had gotten the quick attach and a set of real forks. If you're able, do it now and you won't regret it.

/ Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket #7  
I've been able to move some logs and stumps just by using a piece of chain as a choker and wraping it around the bucket, adjusting the length with grab hooks. It takes some time to hook up so having forks would be a lot better if you have numerous ones to move. I'm lazy and find I like doing everything from the seat. I do plan on building a set of forks but have been too busy to get to it yet. You will need some sort of guard on the back of your bucket if you plan to move firewood and don't want your hood all banged up. At 50 hours my Massy GC 2610 has at least a dozen dents in the hood from firewood falling out when going over bumps.

/ Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket #8  
hmm -- did you already get a wood splitter? there are some splitters that can move to upright position. I really think you should invest in a boom pole and logging tongs instead of using a BX fork all the time. safer and easier and better on tractor no matter whats the model is. You can literally lift more with 3 pt then with bucket.

/ Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket #9  
I would use my QA forks, it has a nice mast to keep the log from rolling on the tractor, but of course try not to lift it too high to begin with to transport it, but I realize you probably dont have a QA. So a set of clamp on or chain on forks would probably get you by, as for chaining up the log, sure you could probably make it work, but seems like a lot of bother if you have many logs to move. And as for dumping the logs in the back of a pickup, seems to me any method is going to make a heck of a bang and dent in the bed of the truck. to set them over the side. I am not envisioning how that would work out for you. If you were loading short pieces (under 4 foot) then load them from the tailgate, then I could see that working, with a helper to carefully roll them into the bed. Well if you had a QA and some hydraulics.. then a grapple could probably make short fast work of loading logs, but a good set of forks can load stuff pretty quickly also.

James K0UA

/ Lifting logs with a SCUT bucket #10  
The BXpanded forks are very nice, lightweight and relatively inexpensive. I have moved a lot of logs with my BX24 using the BXpanded forks. The fork brackets will hold additional bucket hooks as well. (with the forks removed)

Matt.