Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

Default Re: Salvage the 'bota, shoot the deer????

What I really want to know is where are all the Hollywood stars now; why aren't they harping about the government not doing anything to help the poor people like they harped about the situation in New Orleans. Why isn't the media placing all the blame on Obama like they did on Bush. Where are all the looters carrying off big screen TVs and such. Why aren't there looters shooting at rescue helicopters. What about all the rapes and murders at the rescue centers.
    My toys: '09 BMW R1200GSA
    '06 Harley Roadking ~ '95 Suzuki DR350S
    '94 Suzuki DR350S ~ '07 Yamaha Superjet
    '09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
    '83 Suzi 125 three wheeler ~ '13 Ram 3500 4X4 Cummins SRW
    '09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
    '12 John Deere X320

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdib
    What I really want to know is where are all the Hollywood stars now; why aren't they harping about the government not doing anything to help the poor people like they harped about the situation in New Orleans. Why isn't the media placing all the blame on Obama like they did on Bush. Where are all the looters carrying off big screen TVs and such. Why aren't there looters shooting at rescue helicopters. What about all the rapes and murders at the rescue centers.
    My thoughts exactly.
    2010 BX2360
    54" MMM, 5' TW rear blade
    5' TW rake
    4' Frontier Box Blade

Male Red Fox Labrador Retriever
    1963 McIntosh Tube Amp w/1959 Citation I Preamp
    Bozak B302A Speakers

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

pretty sad situation. then agian.. it is a flood plain... and when you build on flood plains.. or build in areas that are BELOW sea level.. this sort of thing is to be expected time to time.

too bad they can't wall the area off to divert it around the cities...

not like a walled city has never been built before...

soundguy

please not that I am not downplaying any of the suffering experienced by any involved with the above comments..

Bronze Member

I agree that it is an unfortunate situation for those affected. That said, as Soundguy stated, if you live in a flood plain, even if blocked by a levee, you could have to deal with this someday. Just like living in Kansas makes me susceptible to tornadoes. Or living in California means Earthquakes. Or living on the coast means hurricanes. Or living on the side of a mountain means occasional avalanches or mudslides. You get the drift. If you lived in Morgan City and knew about the area, you have to have known that there was a spillway, and that the possibility, even remotely, existed that someday it would be opened. Too bad about the wildlife, but it isn't like they don't die from natural disasters elsewhere, too.

Dave

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    ...not like a walled city has never been built before...
    Isn't that what NO is? And when the walls break... Well, that's what the levee does is block the water from getting to the city. Until it fails, or has to be destroyed to save larger populations, or whatever.

Dave

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2006 Jinma 354LE w/YD485

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdib View Post
    People who don't expect help don't get mad when they don't get it, and appreciate it when they do.........
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2006 Jinma 354LE w/YD485, ZL-30 FEL, LW7 backhoe, Rear blade, tiller, brush hog, box blade, post hole auger, snowblower, boom pole, carry all

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

a levee isn't really like a walled city.. levee's are more a general area protection.

specif flood proof walls could be made up pretty easilly.. not as an answer to a levee.. but as / in addition to it.

soundguy

Quote Originally Posted by whateg0 View Post
    Isn't that what NO is? And when the walls break... Well, that's what the levee does is block the water from getting to the city. Until it fails, or has to be destroyed to save larger populations, or whatever.

Dave

Nature will always win.
    2008 JD 5103, FEL, 6' Frontier, 6' HD boxblade, 7' Landscape rake, More impliments to come, Bobcat (clark) 742 SS.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    wheel horse c-100

want to see some amazing ways man has to overcome the pending surprise of not if the water gets but when google daily mail homemade dams this is truly mans best way to protect his dwellings with only what god provides in the least dirt.

mitch becton

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Well they got the gates up here in time at Memphis.. Even used crossties with plastic tarps and sandbags to stave off the flooding. We did have major roadways flooded, in unexpected areas...Now trying to recede, the river needs to fall at least two more feet, before we get any drainage. Myself, I ordered truck loads of dirt to fill in gulleys behind my home..I measured 16 inches rain in less than a 8 day period. Jy.
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12