Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

Default Re: Live vs Independent PTO: Gear vs HST

i never clutch my tractor engaging or dissengaging the pto.now i slowly get the rpms up on the pto to speed.

Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

Quote Originally Posted by DAY View Post
    I wonder how many of the younger generation of tractor jockeys learned to drive a car with a clutch and gears. Picture Richard Gere behind the wheel of a Lotus in "Pretty Woman"
    Thank you, no.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

I've got one of the newer kubota's with the PTO switch over the lever. I guess being able to feather the cable or clutch at speed would be nice but I doubt it's good for the clutch. Would you rev your car up to 2500 rpm and then slowly let the clutch out and expect not to wear the clutch out sooner?

So I always just idle the engine, push the clutch in and engage the PTO. Then rev the motor up slowly. Overkill, probably but for the few extra seconds it takes could translate into years of extra life.

As far as live or independent clutch on a HST, does it really matter? With HST you don't use the clutch for driving.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    I've got one of the newer kubota's with the PTO switch over the lever. I guess being able to feather the cable or clutch at speed would be nice but I doubt it's good for the clutch. Would you rev your car up to 2500 rpm and then slowly let the clutch out and expect not to wear the clutch out sooner?
    Actually, when I did engage (using the clutch), I had the RPM set at about 1000-1200 RPM and used the foot throttle to speed it up a bit if the engine started to stall ("blipping" the throttle).
    Very little wear involved...no more then any gear shift.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Actually, when I did engage (using the clutch), I had the RPM set at about 1000-1200 RPM and used the foot throttle to speed it up a bit if the engine started to stall ("blipping" the throttle).
    Very little wear involved...no more then any gear shift.
    That's basically what I do. But having a lever and cable style PTO over a switch style really is pointless. The only advantage I could see is would be if you wanted to keep moving and engage the PTO and not idle down your engine.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    That's basically what I do. But having a lever and cable style PTO over a switch style really is pointless. The only advantage I could see is would be if you wanted to keep moving and engage the PTO and not idle down your engine.
    The deere 670 and 790 I owned had a short lever directly to the PTO gearing in the transmission...short and sweet. Very easy PTO engagement.
    The 4400 I own now has the lever and linkages. Even though I engage at a low RPM, I just prefer that direct linkage (no good reason, BTW). I just think the direct lever engagement will be more durable over the long term.

I rarely, if ever, engaged the PTO when moving. This was for using a finish mower, rotary cutter or chipper.

There are some tractors with a "soft start" PTO engagement. Don't ask me how that works. I know I've read about them on TBN, but cannot recall the tractor brands or threads.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

No matter whether I am using the button or lever, I always lower the RPM to about 1200-1500 before engaging. I guess being able to slowly engage by the lever as per manual just makes me feel better. I am sure the new button models are well designed.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

I like the button on the kubota but it could have been designed differently. It's hard to operate (turn on) while wearing gloves (like when snow blowing). The plastic is slippery and there's only one indicator that points to on or off that you can use for leverage. However to turn it off you just tap it and it releases and rotates back to off all on it's own. Kind of like an EMO switch on a tool. I think that's why companies are going to it over a lever, simply tap down on it and it shuts off. But that's a whole different topic.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

wow is it that time of year again where the hst vs gear threads start?

soundguy

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    wow is it that time of year again where the hst vs gear threads start?

soundguy
    Did it ever stop since last spring?
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast