Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Re: Live vs Independent PTO: Gear vs HST

Quote Originally Posted by DAY View Post
    So, on an HST machine, engine speed is controlled by a hand throttle, ground speed by a foot pedal, and PTO by an electric switch on the dash, instead of a lever and/or a foot clutch?
    That depends on make and model of tractor. The Kioti & Bobcat have some HST with a clutch (Kioti CK series & Bobcat CT122-235), specs list these as Live PTO. Push in clutch to shift/engage PTO but you also let off or remvoe your foot from travel pedal tractor slows or stops with PTO running so act like Independent. Little bit of best of both in these. DKs & CT335/400s have no clutch are full Independent.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Grand View Post
    Thank you, no.
    I'd rather picture Steve McQueen in LeMans...

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Farmall 706 Yanmar 2210D

Whats the definitions of "live" and "independent" PTO here? Used to be that live PTO had its own engaging lever or switch and was not effected by other pedals or levers. I thought that independent PTO was just another name for live. No?

I know that MF and AC were big on 2 stage clutches and got into the area of "semi-live".

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Here is a thread with some good info.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...off-types.html
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Ford 4500 TLB, Kubota L2900GST

Thanks, TripleR for the link. Froggy, way back in 2003, explains it all!
    Back when I was farming, 30 years ago, my little Yanmar had a live PTO (one position clutch) and my David Brown had an independent PTO- push half way, the tractor stops, all the way the PTO stops. Which is pretty much a necessity for operations like mowing and baling hay.

But, as Froggy says, with HST there are many different approaches to the problem, all involving different degrees of safety and complexity and cost. Please don't throw things at me, if I ask which do you-all prefer.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Back when I was farming, 30 years ago, my little Yanmar had a live PTO (one position clutch) and my David Brown had an independent PTO- push half way, the tractor stops, all the way the PTO stops. Which is pretty much a necessity for operations like mowing and baling hay.

But, as Froggy says, with HST there are many different approaches to the problem, all involving different degrees of safety and complexity and cost. Please don't throw things at me, if I ask which do you-all prefer.

OK, Soundguy...he started it...
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Hydraulic Independent is my preference, but I can use them all. I grew up farming with Ford 600/800 Series, still own a NAA and 600; anything beats a Yo-Yo, Kaiser Blade or Brier Scythe.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

while I like the hyd independent pto my ford 4600, 5000, and NH 7610s offer.. they still start harder than I like.. At least with the dual clutch on my 3000 and 660 i can easilly feather something up...

soundguy

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I like the way my L3400HST works. Throttle down, push in clutch, engage PTO lever ( tiny mechanical lever which pulls on a cable) Then when ready slowly feather the clutch pedal to start the load spinning up, Throttle up and go to work. Normal stop, throttle down, push in clutch, disengage lever, let out clutch, and carry on. Emergency stop, stab clutch instantly with left foot, all power removed from PTO which should stop the shower of rocks or whatever.
    PTO keeps spinning of course in normal operation no matter what you do with the tractor groundspeed or direction with the HST. Beats the heck out of my old B7500DT

I have never sheared a pin yet in several years of rotary cutter operation. Did wad up a finish mower blade and smoked belts once when a rock rolled up from the front edge of a FIMCO finish mower. There was nothing I could, do by the time I got the hand PTO engagement lever thrown on the old Long, the smoke was drifting accross the valley

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123