Live vs Independent PTO: Gear vs HST

/ Live vs Independent PTO: Gear vs HST #1  

DAY

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 4500 TLB, Kubota L2900GST
With a gear tractor an independent PTO makes life much easier, especially when mowing or tilling.
How important is it with an HST transmission?

/ Live vs Independent PTO: Gear vs HST #3  
Independent is always better, but I do prefer the way I engaged the live PTO on my old 790.
As much as this gear transmission guy hates to say it, it is easier to control ground speed with an HST then a gear/independent PTO transmission...but it really depends on how many gears you have (my 4400 has reverser transmission with 12F/12R gears).

/ Live vs Independent PTO: Gear vs HST #4  
Like Roy, I prefer independent, but am hard pressed to see how it would have much of an impact on normal operation.

Last edited:
   / Live vs Independent PTO: Gear vs HST
So, on an HST machine, engine speed is controlled by a hand throttle, ground speed by a foot pedal, and PTO by an electric switch on the dash, instead of a lever and/or a foot clutch?

/ Live vs Independent PTO: Gear vs HST #6  
So, on an HST machine, engine speed is controlled by a hand throttle, ground speed by a foot pedal, and PTO by an electric switch on the dash, instead of a lever and/or a foot clutch?

That's basically correct.
The only reason I prefer "Live" over independent is the PTO engagement can be feathered with the clutch. Independent is just straight away engaged (more shock load). So, just engage the PTO at a low RPM to minimize that load as much as possible...

engage the PTO at a low RPM to minimize that load as much as possible...

Right. And then increase engine speed, so that all that mass (like a hay baler, with that big flywheel) is up to operating speed, before you start to move forward.

/ Live vs Independent PTO: Gear vs HST #8  
It is not as simple as one would think as on many HST Kubotas you can engage the PTO with a lever, but with the clutch depressed the PTO is not engaged nor is the transmission. You can also just leave the foot clutch alone and feather with the lever.

Our M8540 has a lever, not a button and pushing the clutch has no effect.

My BX2660 also has a lever so you can feather the PTO, but our JD 2305 has a knob on the dash.

It can get somewhat hard to explain due to the different models.

Some Kubota models are switching over to a knob on the dash which I don't like, but will have to live with it.

/ Live vs Independent PTO: Gear vs HST #9  
Right. And then increase engine speed, so that all that mass (like a hay baler, with that big flywheel) is up to operating speed, before you start to move forward.

Yep...
A rotary cutter, for example, might take 10-15 seconds before it's blades pivot out and it's up to speed.

Every now and then, you'll read of a new owner who run the engine up to PTO RPM, then engages the implement....good thing there are shear bolts and slip clutches!!

good thing there are shear bolts and slip clutches!!

I wonder how many of the younger generation of tractor jockeys learned to drive a car with a clutch and gears. Picture Richard Gere behind the wheel of a Lotus in "Pretty Woman":D