Land Pride Razor ZR52 won't start

/ Land Pride Razor ZR52 won't start #1  

Perplexed

Silver Member
I realize this is a ZTR mower and not a tractor, but I've seen people discuss ZTR's here, so I thought I'd give it a try...

I have a first-gen Razor ZR52 ZTR that I inherited from my dad. It's about five years old, and has probably 400 hours on it now. The engine is a Honda 20-hp 4-stroke 2-cylinder. It's always started up with no problem, but a month or so ago it had trouble starting from a cold start, choke or no choke. Once warmed up, it ran fine and would start back up with no issues. The problem has gotten worse, and now it won't start at all. The engine will turn over, but it won't fire, and I've noticed fuel being spit out the exhaust pipe. I changed the spark plugs, the oil and oil filter, and the fuel and air filters, and I've checked the battery. I even tried starting the ZTR while the battery was hooked up to a charger - no dice. It cranks, but won't fire. Anything else I should check before I borrow a trailer and haul it to the local dealer for repairs? Could it be a starter gone bad, and if so, how can I check for that short of swapping it out for another starter? Thanks.

/ Land Pride Razor ZR52 won't start #2  
check the flywheel key...russ

/ Land Pride Razor ZR52 won't start #3  
Quote: The engine will turn over, but it won't fire, and I've noticed fuel being spit out the exhaust pipe.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuel being spit out the exhaust indicates that possibly the needle valve and float in the carburetor aren't doing their job of controlling the correct fuel level.

Monitor the oil level closely because in some engines a leaking needle valve can lead to gasoline in the crankcase and that isn't a good thing.

/ Land Pride Razor ZR52 won't start #4  
We have had a Land Pride Razor ZXR 72 and it will not start either at times. It seems to be electrical related. We have had it for about 5 years and bought it brand new. If we figure out the problem I will let you know. One time it was the fuel tank switches were stuck in between and no gas was getting to the motor to start. We have had this problem all summer, it starts and runs long enough to get the grass mowed but them doesn't start again. Will fire but not turn over.

/ Land Pride Razor ZR52 won't start #5  
I also have a Land Pride ZR52, it is about 9 years old. I have never had a problem with it until a few months ago. Some times it will start some times it won't. I have loaded it up and took it in and when I got there it started (two times I have taken it in and it started). It turns over fine but won't start, not even with starting fluid. I put it in the shop replaced plugs, new carbureator, and dioade. It is haunted. When it runs it runs, it runs great and once it starts it will always restart that day. Has anyone had this problem. I really like the mower but I am getting pretty fed up with it now. Sounds like we are kind of having the same problem. Was you able to find out your problem.