Grease dripping off FEL ?

/ Grease dripping off FEL ? #1  

dennis52

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DS4510HS , Kubota B7100
Can anyone enlighten me further on multipurpose grease for FEL's

Now the manual says to use any multipurpose grease and I am using a Lubrimatic brand lithium based one, recommended for chassis and universal joints and general farm use.

It's "dropping point" is listed as 350 degree F

I give each nipple( zerk) 4 shots on a smaller size cartridge grease gun until I see the older grease being pressured out of any gap.

Problem is that over time the grease seems to be getting runny and drips off onto my new shiny tractor.

I have only greased the FEL twice in a hundred hours (8 weeks) maybe 30 hours of that was loader work. I keep my loader on all the time when slashing.

It is late Autumn over here and only getting to about 70 degrees F in the day so not real hot weather.

I have taken a lot of time to clean off all the extruded grease that has run from out of the pin but it seems to keep oozing out.

Does all multipurpose grease have the same viscosity?

The loader manual says to grease it before every use!

I'd have a greaseball on wheels if I did that.

/ Grease dripping off FEL ? #2  
Mine dont work that way, in a lot hotter weather than that. is it a NLGI2 rated grease? and if so.. I would suggest changing brands. as a NLGI2 grease is like peanut butter, and mostly stays put. It is not "runny"

James K0UA

/ Grease dripping off FEL ? #3  
Mine dont work that way, in a lot hotter weather than that. is it a NLGI2 rated grease? and if so.. I would suggest changing brands. as a NLGI2 grease is like peanut butter, and mostly stays put. It is not "runny"

James K0UA

I agree with James. :thumbsup: If it was an older tractor, which you say it's not, it could have a lot of slop in the fel pins and after greasing the pins might push the new grease out while flexing during use!:)

/ Grease dripping off FEL ? #4  
I have always used High Temperature and Extreme Pressure Grease. The kind JD sells:thumbsup:

/ Grease dripping off FEL ? #5  
EP grease here too. The grease shouldn't be "runny".

/ Grease dripping off FEL ? #6  
EP grease here too. The grease shouldn't be "runny".
And not the cheap stuff either. My father always said either grease the heck out of it with a good grease enough to have buildup, to keep the dirt and sand out or don't grease it at all and let the dirt fall away. I grease the heck out of it.

/ Grease dripping off FEL ? #7  
You need a different grease... for some reason what you are using isn't staying where it should stay. Your greasing technique is same as mine.

/ Grease dripping off FEL ? #8  
Look for a grease rated Extreme Pressure or EP. They often are Moly fortified. FELs take a lot fo forces so they need a good grease that can take the pressure and stay put. Ratings may be different Down Under, not sure on that...

/ Grease dripping off FEL ?
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Exchanged my old grease for EP rated grease this morning.