Exhaust Pipe Rain Cap

/ Exhaust Pipe Rain Cap #11  
I never had one on a compact tractor, but I would think you'd never hear the flapper if you kept the RPM up about a thousand.
The old Deere compacts (670, 770 and 790) exhausts had some kind of rain trap. Not sure how it worked...read about it in the service manual, IIRC.

That's true, Roy. If you keep the RPM up, you won't hear it, but I don't remember how high it had to be. It's not just a rattle from closing and hitting the exhaust pipe. The hinge has enough play in it, I assume to be sure it always falls closed when you shut down, so that hinge rattles a bit.

/ Exhaust Pipe Rain Cap #12  
The bent, slant cut pipe has been effective on all my tractors. In an accumulated 40yrs on the ones that sit outside we have not the slightest indication of a problem. One of them tho aims straight forward. When its trailered it gets capped.
larry

/ Exhaust Pipe Rain Cap #13  
I had the opposite experience with the bent and cut pipe on my 450 Case. I always put a can over it, but one time my son was using it and forgot to put the can back on. The dozer sat for about a month at the woodlot before I went to use it again, after a couple of driving rainstorms. First thing I noticed was no can on the stack. I cranked it briefly and no go (it usually fires right off). I checked the dipstick - oil level was UP.:eek: (I had just spent over $3000 on a motor job.) I drained the oil - quite a lot of clear water came out first - and changed the oil filter. I then said a prayer and cranked her over. It took a bit of spinning and some crud came out the stack before it started to fire, one cylinder at a time, and it finally smoothed out. How do you spell relief? :):):) I immediately installed a straight stack with a rain cap.
It's been close to 10 years since that happened and the little crawler still fires right up and works great. I think I dodged a bullet on that one.

/ Exhaust Pipe Rain Cap #14  
I had the opposite experience with the bent and cut pipe on my 450 Case.
:eek: No doubt unfavorable circumstances can add up; amt of time idle, # and intensity of storms&orientation to storm winds, grade angle, exhaust design, etc. Glad you were able to "extract the bullet"! :thumbsup:
larry