Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Gravely 16-G

Default Exhaust Pipe Rain Cap

My B9200 has the exhaust pipe that goes strait up. The tip is cut such that the exhaust pipe opening is perpendicular to the ground. When rain falls the slightest breeze will allow rain to drop in the pipe. My tractor is parked outside & I try to put a coffee can on the pipe when I'm not running it. Is this necessary? Would the muffler keep the rain from running into the engine?
    John Deere 4500 PowrReverser 4X4 460 FEL & 48 Backhoe
    Kubota B9200 Gear 4X4 FEL
    5' Box Blade, 5' Scrapper Blade, PHD

Platinum Member

Default Re: Exhaust Pipe Rain Cap

Would the muffler keep the rain from running into the engine
    Definetly not, get a flapper cap for it, you'll forget the can one of these days and next thing your engine will be full of water.....Mike

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NHtd75

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    My B9200 has the exhaust pipe that goes strait up. The tip is cut such that the exhaust pipe opening is perpendicular to the ground. When rain falls the slightest breeze will allow rain to drop in the pipe. My tractor is parked outside & I try to put a coffee can on the pipe when I'm not running it. Is this necessary? Would the muffler keep the rain from running into the engine?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    The ole coffee can has been used about as long as there have been tractors. As kids, for entertainment, we always watched to see how high the D-John Deere would blow it into the air when the first cylinder fired.

You could cut the pipe square and add a rain/weather cap and in general they do a good job but the can is a sure thing.

The muffler won't stop the water and water in it will surely make for faster rusting out.

If this was my tractor I'd be covering a few other things like the instrument panel, steering wheel and seat. In the good ole days that wasn't necessary as the sun and rain didn't effect cast iron much.

Tractor
    John Deere 790, 420, 314, "L/60" Custom & 70 I

Quote Originally Posted by SandburRanch View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    The ole coffee can has been used about as long as there have been tractors. As kids, for entertainment, we always watched to see how high the D-John Deere would blow it into the air when the first cylinder fired.
    The fun part was to try to catch the can on the way down (from the seat)! ~~ grnspot

Some people don't like the sound of a flapper flapping, but with the noise any diesel tractor makes, the extra sound (rattle) of a flapper didn't bother me at all. I bought one for my B7100 at Tractor Supply Company where they had a variety of sizes.
    Bird

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Gravely 16-G

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    Definetly not, get a flapper cap for it, you'll forget the can one of these days and next thing your engine will be full of water.....Mike
    That is my concern. I do put the coffee can on, but sometimes forget. More concerned about rust than engine filing up w/ water.
    John Deere 4500 PowrReverser 4X4 460 FEL & 48 Backhoe
    Kubota B9200 Gear 4X4 FEL
    5' Box Blade, 5' Scrapper Blade, PHD

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

I used to have a B8200 with same exhaust set up. I found a piece of tubing to fit over the pipe, bent a 90 degree curve in it and cut tubing off about 2" beyond the curve. No pictures, sold the tractor.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Farmall 706 Yanmar 2210D

I've used the flappers on the big tractors and automatically picked one up when I got my little Yanmar. The pipe is at eye level and close and I was getting sick from the exhaust. I took it back off and have no problems. I park it in the shed but keep a soup can on standby if I get caught out in the rain.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

My LS is the same way with a 45 degree bend and then a 45 degree cut. The bend starts below the cab but ends above it. I dont think I could just cut it straight as then it would likely put the exhaust right into my cab windshield. Since I shed mine all the time, I am not concerned with it, but I would think that the manufacturer would take that detail into consideration and make allowances for it setting outside. They may have some sort of drain hole in the muffler like car mufflers do to allow any accumulated water to leak out. Unless you hit it with a fire hose, it shouldnt get a lot of water in it anyway, certainly not enough to flood the engine unless it was exposed to another NOAH's flood.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Some people don't like the sound of a flapper flapping, but with the noise any diesel tractor makes, the extra sound (rattle) of a flapper didn't bother me at all. I bought one for my B7100 at Tractor Supply Company where they had a variety of sizes.
    I never had one on a compact tractor, but I would think you'd never hear the flapper if you kept the RPM up about a thousand.
    The old Deere compacts (670, 770 and 790) exhausts had some kind of rain trap. Not sure how it worked...read about it in the service manual, IIRC.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast