UTV or Utility vehicle registration?

/ UTV or Utility vehicle registration? #1  

Snaker

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall 706 Yanmar 2210D
Does anyone know what the deal is with these machines and registration? I'm guessing that there is a lot of variation between states.

Does anyone know what the definitions are of all these ATV's, Side by sides, UTV's, XUV's, Utility vehicles?

I live in Minnesota and bought a Yard Sport YS200 from a Menards store. They are definately pushing it as a Utility vehicle for private property yard work. I have a township road and a county road bordering my property and like to take an occasional spin around the neighborhood.

In MN, OHV (Off-highway Vehicles) are regulated by the DNR and I have their regulation handbook. It doesn't appear to recognize these newer classifications.

From what I can tell by studing the handbook my options are:
1. Treat it as a pure utility vehicle, don't register, drive on sholder with slow moving sign? I have been doing this but I don't know if it would fly if I happened to pass a cop.
2. Treat it as a pure utility vehicle, don't register, can't drive on any public road/ditch.
3. Register as a ATV class I. That would allow me to drive on the township road but in the ditch only on the county road. My machine would get nowhere in the ditches.

I researched a UTV Pilot Program in neighboring Wisconsin and found that program to list specific brands and models (mine didn't show up on that list either).

I talked to a couple of Sheriff Deputies (probably the most important opinion) and they argued between themselves about this. One said its a ATV class I and the other said he wouldn't bother anyone without registration if they weren't causing trouble. They both said they needed to refresh themselves on the regulations.

/ UTV or Utility vehicle registration? #2  
You will need to check with your statutes and if they are not clear, get something in writing from your State Patrol/Police. When I bought my Rhino in 06 they were not classified as anything and there was even confusion on titles and taxes. I contacted MSHP and got something indication they would be treated as the same as ATV's until the statutes caught up. A couple of years later laws were put in place. I think there should be a separate class, but I ca live with what we have now.

/ UTV or Utility vehicle registration? #3  
Around here (Ontario) an ATV is a machine with a seat that you straddle, has handlebar steering, four tires, brake and headlights. They can be ridden on SOME roads if they are licensed and insured. When used on roads, only ONE person can be on them, even the two-up versions. Rhino, Gators, etc fall between the cracks...

/ UTV or Utility vehicle registration?
I called the MN DNR and they just told me the same stuff that was in the handbook. I'm also somewhat leary of pushing this too much. I'm not fond of registering something that may not need it due to the various fee's and additional issues that tend to arise. I'm also afraid that it would be classified as a ATV class I which would definately prohibit me from driving on the county road shoulder.

In MN ATV's have 2 classes:
Class I: Engine 960cc or less. Less than 1000 lbs
Class II: Engine 960cc or less. 1000 to 1800 lbs

Class II can run on the shoulder (one Deputy said they are prohibited from the ditches) but my machine is 690 lbs and would fall under the class I (ditch only on county roads).

I'm wondering if this would be more similar to golf carts on the roads. Does anyone have experience with that?

/ UTV or Utility vehicle registration?
Around here (Ontario) an ATV is a machine with a seat that you straddle, has handlebar steering, four tires, brake and headlights. They can be ridden on SOME roads if they are licensed and insured. When used on roads, only ONE person can be on them, even the two-up versions. Rhino, Gators, etc fall between the cracks...

Minnesota definition of a ATV class I:
quote: Class 1 ATVs are motorized flotation-tired vehicles with at least three but no more than six low pressure tires that have an engine displacement of less than 960 cubic centimeters and total dry weight of less than 1000 pounds.

I commented to the Deputy that the definition could describe a riding lawn mower. I wasn't trying to be a wiseguy but he pretty much decided the conversation was over.

/ UTV or Utility vehicle registration? #6  
In New York State:anything over 1,000lbs,is not registered and can'nt use the state trail system.Slow moving vehicle sign required.
Suppose to be pending legislation to amend this law,NYS wants their cut.

/ UTV or Utility vehicle registration? #7  
In Louisiana, a side by side can be registered as "Farm Equipment" therefore can be driven on the road just like a tractor however, it must have a SMV triangle. One State Trooper told me that farm equip could only be driven on the road within 5 miles of your farm.I don't really know b/c I don't drive the polaris more than 5 miles from my farm anyhow. I've driven my Polaris Ranger 6x6 on the road without any problems but, I would check the laws as they differ from state to state.

/ UTV or Utility vehicle registration? #8  
When I bought my UTV a couple months ago, I had to buy a Pennsylvania ATV license plate. I'm allowed to drive on the roads as a tractor provided that my UTV is only used in horticulture, displays a SMV, has a license plate and by manufacturer's design, is limited to 25 mph.
Subsequently I received a title from Penn. but I never got a registration card.