Plowing field of tall grass

/ Plowing field of tall grass #1  

POC

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4x4
I'm plowing a small patch to plant some corn. Currently this field has fescue growing in it. It is about waist high, but not real thick.
My BIL said that not cutting the grass will cause trouble when I try to disk and plant my corn.
Should I mow this field first?
Should I really cut and bale this field first? Thus getting rid of the grass, instead of just moving it from a standing to lying position?

Thanks,
Patrick

/ Plowing field of tall grass #2  
Getting it off would make the corn planting go a lot smoother. Maybe brush Hog it and turn it under with a moldboard plow? Ken Sweet

/ Plowing field of tall grass #4  
Like Ken, I would hog it then turn it under and disk it up good, it will be good for the soil too. Ideally you will work it up in the fall and again just before planting or that is what we use to do.

/ Plowing field of tall grass #5  
Or spray it with Roundup, burn it off, then plow/disc.

/ Plowing field of tall grass #6  
When we took some fields out of CRP, we would burn first, then round up and then plant Round-up ready soybeans with no-till. You could burn, the round-up and then use plow/tiller.
If burning won't work, then mow really short, round-up and then plow/tiller.

/ Plowing field of tall grass
The neighbor that cuts that couple of acres of grass for hay was here today cutting it. So now I'll just have to wait till the middle of the week, hopefully, he will get it baled up and moved, then I can continue my plowing.

This is a gas pipeline right of way, I think they might get irritated if I burnt it.

/ Plowing field of tall grass #8  
The Round up seems like a waste of good organic material that you have growing there. I'm with the use a rotary cutter, and plow under crowd.

/ Plowing field of tall grass #9  
I'm plowing a small patch to plant some corn. Currently this field has fescue growing in it. It is about waist high, but not real thick.
My BIL said that not cutting the grass will cause trouble when I try to disk and plant my corn.
Should I mow this field first?
Should I really cut and bale this field first? Thus getting rid of the grass, instead of just moving it from a standing to lying position?

Thanks,
Patrick

Mow it short with your brush hog or whatever, then disc (an offset disc is nice for this type of primary tillage) or plow/disc. My neighbor grows seed corn in an irrigated field. He just runs his 15-ft wheel disc over the field to bury the stubble and then seeds.

/ Plowing field of tall grass #10  
The Round up seems like a waste of good organic material that you have growing there. I'm with the use a rotary cutter, and plow under crowd

You don't lose any organic material by killing it first.

It just helps it break down faster and keeps it from regrowing