Dual Brakes on an HST tractor

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #61  
That's okay TripleR, at least you didn't go into a lengthy rant about how HST tractors don't need brakes because they stop when you let off the pedal..... :laughing:
Not sure about other HST tractors, but, my Massey will not come to a complete stop on a slope by letting off the pedal. Mine will keep on moving slightly.

That's why I wanted the brake on the left, to be sure of a full holding stop when necessary.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #62  
Not sure about other HST tractors, but, my Massey will not come to a complete stop on a slope by letting off the pedal. Mine will keep on moving slightly.

That's why I wanted the brake on the left, to be sure of a full holding stop when necessary.

Yep, my Kubota B2910 would creep also if on a steep slope. I used it to brush cut timber trails a lot. When you back down a steep bank to the edge of a ditch that's ten feet deep with a brush cutter on you would really like to be able to have a foot on the brakes as well as a foot on the treddle!!! :eek:

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #63  

Yes, it is a great safety factor when working on a slope to have the left brake pedals. I learned that quite completely first time I had to do that.:thumbsup:

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #64  
======================
4wd drive does not mean. all 4 wheels turn and have power. you get power to one front wheel and one rear wheel. if you have differential lock set. then you get power to one front wheel and both back wheels.
This is true on terms Physics. - You have to have both force and movement to have mechanical power. I think this sidesteps the issue of whether the wheels drive or not. Both wheels on an axle [with open differential] are supplying the same thrust force. The fact that one may be spinning and therefore using [or applying] power does not change the fact that both are driving.
larry

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #65  
That's okay TripleR, at least you didn't go into a lengthy rant about how HST tractors don't need brakes because they stop when you let off the pedal..... :laughing:
Had a big problem with that when the cradle bearing in my BX1500 HST broke. There were episodes of instant loss of hydraulic drive connection. When youre not used to needing/using the brakes it is freaky to suddenly start freewheeling.
larry

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #66  
I had a JD 4100 CUT, it had one brake pedal on the right just above the HST pedals, it also had two brake pedals on the left. This was the perfect brake setup. Whenever you needed to emergency stop your right foot automatically found the right hand pedal which operated both brakes. When I wanted to steer or to use brakes to hold position when backing down a steep slope I could use the left brake pedals at the same time as using the HST. It was definitely very nice to have pedals on left and right sides. When I got my first JD 2520 which is the exact same frame and controls as the 4100 the first thing I noticed was the right hand pedal was gone. Now I can't find the brakes when I need them. I don't know when the right pedal disappeared, not sure if the 4115 had it or not. I so much miss that right pedal that I've considered whether it might be possible to buy the parts from the 4100 design and add them to my 2520. At first glance the brake mechanism is exactly the same on the 2520 as the 4100 just without the right pedal. The pedal attached to the brake control shaft which went across both sides of the machine. Perhaps they just removed the pedal and replaced it with a spacer to save cost. That would perhaps allow one to add the pedal to a 2520. Any 2520 owners ever look into this?