Dual Brakes on an HST tractor

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #1  

Lockport

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
What exactly is the point of dual brake pedals on an HST tractor if the cruise control will disengage when any brake is applied? I could see a shuttle transmission in gear and a hand throttle set at speed in order to steer with independent brake applications for field work but why are they on an HST?:confused2:

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #2  
A lot of people use them to steer in the snow with a blower or blade. Some use them when using a lot of pressure on the FEL while back dragging. Others use them on slopes or to make very sharp turns. My cruise control will not disengage unless both brakes are applied, so you can use it with the "steering brakes".

John Deere and some other makes come with "steering brakes" on the left side, so you can use your HST pedal and the brakes while Kubota retains them on the right.

I grew up farming and used split brakes on the turn rows to minimize the room needed to turn around and maximize the length of rows. I also used to tap one side or the other to redirect traction as our tractors did not have diff lock back then.

There are a lot of uses, for split brakes/steering brakes.

Having said that, I personally rarely use them on my HST L5030. I do use them on our M8540 as we use it a bit differently than the L5030 and it won't turn as sharp with the steering wheel as the L5030 being a bigger tractor.

This is often a hotly debated issue and I have been essentially told I didn't know what I was talking about, so keep that in mind.

Use the search feature and you will find hours of reading.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor
I see. So when in split mode they may not disengage my cruise control. That would make sense to me and, admittedly, I just took delivery of my Bobcat CT235 on Friday and have neither split the brakes, nor tried the cruise control yet. It would seem logical that the cruise would disengage if one depressed both pedals, but not if only one pedal was depressed. I should go try this. :D:thumbsup::D

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #4  
I see. So when in split mode they may not disengage my cruise control. That would make sense to me and, admittedly, I just took delivery of my Bobcat CT235 on Friday and have neither split the brakes, nor tried the cruise control yet. It would seem logical that the cruise would disengage if one depressed both pedals, but not if only one pedal was depressed. I should go try this. :D:thumbsup::D

I don't know about the Bobcat, but that is how they work on my Kubota. It was one of the first things I tried when I got it home. Good luck and enjoy your tractor.

My cruise control is a lever that you can actually use like an HST pedal going forward rather than locking or set device, so it works really well.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #5  
A lot of people use them to steer in the snow with a blower or blade. Some use them when using a lot of pressure on the FEL while back dragging. Others use them on slopes or to make very sharp turns. My cruise control will not disengage unless both brakes are applied, so you can use it with the "steering brakes".

John Deere and some other makes come with "steering brakes" on the left side, so you can use your HST pedal and the brakes while Kubota retains them on the right.

I grew up farming and used split brakes on the turn rows to minimize the room needed to turn around and maximize the length of rows. I also used to tap one side or the other to redirect traction as our tractors did not have diff lock back then.

There are a lot of uses, for split brakes/steering brakes.

Having said that, I personally rarely use them on my HST L5030. I do use them on our M8540 as we use it a bit differently than the L5030 and it won't turn as sharp with the steering wheel as the L5030 being a bigger tractor.

This is often a hotly debated issue and I have been essentially told I didn't know what I was talking about, so keep that in mind.

Use the search feature and you will find hours of reading.

Same here, I have used the split brakes by pushing forward on the cruise control with my left hand and split braking when pushing snow/ice on the driveway, it is about the only time I use them, ordinarily don't need the split brakes with a hydro, as you can reverse instantly and "see-saw" so easy with the hydro and the steering wheel for your sharp turning needs.
Some have "crossed over" and used their left foot for split braking duties, (the Kubota shuffle) and a few are nimble enough to use their right foot for both the hydro and the brake pedals.. Not me. It just isn't a big deal to me, and I have never cared for brakes on the left side. Some people left foot brake with an automobile also, but to me brakes belong on the right foot where my "muscle memory" thinks they are.

James K0UA

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #6  
Same here, I have used the split brakes by pushing forward on the cruise control with my left hand and split braking when pushing snow/ice on the driveway, it is about the only time I use them, ordinarily don't need the split brakes with a hydro, as you can reverse instantly and "see-saw" so easy with the hydro and the steering wheel for your sharp turning needs.
Some have "crossed over" and used their left foot for split braking duties, (the Kubota shuffle) and a few are nimble enough to use their right foot for both the hydro and the brake pedals.. Not me. It just isn't a big deal to me, and I have never cared for brakes on the left side. Some people left foot brake with an automobile also, but to me brakes belong on the right foot where my "muscle memory" thinks they are.

James K0UA

Same here, I would never own a tractor with brakes on the left as everything we own with the exception of a John Deere I rarely use, has brakes on the right. For those with one tractor or several tractors the same, I can see it and apparently they are pretty popular.

I am also sure there are those good enough to drive both types and never get confused, but I am just not one of them.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor
All this "crossing over" and "brakes on the left" talk is making me queasy. So I got on my Bobcat, loosened the bolt on the pin that connects the brake pedals and, I note, they were locked on in PARK mode at the time, and the left brake stayed depressed and locked but the right let up. So I got on, pressed (or tapped) the left which released the Parking Brake and proceeded to set the Cruise Control and here's what happened: When I pressed the right brake, I was able to lock up the right wheel on my gravel drive and begin a right hand turn! And when I tapped the Left Brake, it simply released the cruise control and I stopped. So it does seem as though I could plow the field in a continuously expanding right right hand circle while entertaining a degree of mindless dribble or at least using two hands to do something else, like, eat a large submarine sandwhich! Good to know someones thinking with innovation.:thumbsup:

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #8  
On some models and brands, it is a whole lot more about parts and component commonality between hydro and gear drive versions than any operating characteristics.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #9  
Something you really need to watch out for with a split brake pedal is stomping on only one of them when traveling at high speed on a surface with good traction. You can cause the tractor to turn sharply to one side and then tipping over onto its side. The operator's manual for my late 70s IH warns of this and recommends you always lock the brake pedals together when operating in high range on the road. ;)

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #10  
Same here, I would never own a tractor with brakes on the left as everything we own with the exception of a John Deere I rarely use, has brakes on the right. For those with one tractor or several tractors the same, I can see it and apparently they are pretty popular.

I am also sure there are those good enough to drive both types and never get confused, but I am just not one of them.
My tractor brake is on the left(only one pedal) my HST is on the right.............yes, I still get confused sometimes, but for the most part, I've got it down.

The biggest thing I like about the 'left' brake is hooking up implements. I have a positive stop by using the 'left foot brake', whereas with a ' right foot brake' ya gotta do the "shuffle". While most all hydros will stop instantly when the forward or reverse pedal is realeased, you still get some movement which can 'misalign' implements.

It's all a matter of preference really, but I'm sure you can understand the logic of the 'left' brake pedal.

And don't take this wrong, I'm not demeaning anyone. Everyone has preferences..........that's why we have McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's.